How to move a bridge?

/ How to move a bridge?
BHD said:
If you would pull it with a farm tractor, there is little in most instances they can do as it is then a farm item and usually falls under the farm exempt rules most states have for farm equipment,(licence plates and width rules), a flag car would still be recommended,
I realize the distance is the biggest obstacle for a farm tractor,

That is an idea. Although I can image it would take an entire day to move it the 30 miles that way.

Another obstacle has also presented itself. In looking at potential routes, there is a river between our land and the bridge, which means we would have to haul the bridge across a bridge.

/ How to move a bridge? #42  
I would unbolt the cross members and lay the sides on a trailer. If you really like the look of the bridge and putting a little money into it is not out of the question I would replace the main beams with some I-beams. If you were to get 4 or 5 of them that could span the entire distance you can use pressure treated 2x4s on end for decking. The i-beam would support the weight but you would still have a much nicer looking 'guard rails'. You could even shorten the bridge to better fit it's new location.

However if you are looking for a cheap way out I think you'll nickle and dime yourself into spending more than just buying the correct materials.

/ How to move a bridge? #43  
You also need to consider what you are going to set the bridge on. Originally it would have probably been on driven pilings. It would need to be well supported. You probably don't need to have pilings driven, but you'll need at least a good wide footing poured. I would guess this bridge is approaching 100 years old if not older and would have not been designed for todays loads. I worked for the county road and bridge back in the mid '70s and we had a few of those old bridges left. A few of them we could not run the Cat #12 road graders across because of the weight restrictions. Can one still buy pressure treated bridge plank? These were 3" thick and various widths that were used to deck those bridges. I'm sure a saw mill could make them up for you. I kind of like the idea of just using the bannisters as guard rail along side of a conventional fill over culverts. Weight capacity then wouldn't be an issue and you could make it as wide as you want. It would still have the look of a bridge.

Kim

/ How to move a bridge? #44  
Yes the ESSP The Early Special SUnday Permit. Ive hauled a TD25 IHC dozer from one job to another with a 14 foot blade with the ESSP lol. My neighbor was pretty cool and when I was a teenager I hung around him and learned alot lol. I ran my dump truck 2 years with out a tag because I put mud and red grease on the tag. Went throught tons of road blocks lol.