PTO driven water pump

/ PTO driven water pump #11  
I built one from a small fire truck pump one time. I didnt have ater at work just a large spring fed pond. I put a tank on a truck and needed a wa yto fill it without a small motor. I traded for a small 3 inch inlet and outlet pump off an old mid 70's ford one ton pumper truck. It had a step gear box to speed the pump speed. THis made it turn the right rotation for a 540 pto. I mounted it on an old carryall frame and put a pto shaft on it. THe suction side faced the rear so I made a 4 bolt flange to hold a 3 inch galvanized conduit with a long bend in it. I made an adapter to hook a 3 inch ose to the top discharge. It worked great spraying water 10 feet straight up in the air. I could fill our 1000 Gallon water tanker in about 5 minutes.

My brother built a 2000 gallong water truck and I donated the pump to his project. Ive seen one made from a long pipe like the one posted above but in one end it had a 2 blade prop made from sheet plate. It had a speed increaser on the input side where the tractors pto attached made from pullies.

At work to water the garden our water tanker is a rolloff ttruck that has a homebuilt tank we can set off. We stick the suction hose on our pto sprayer pump on it we have a set of hoses that adapt it to a garden hose. On a stock 540 pto we can run 2 of the adjustable water sprinklers at almost full capacity on the end of a 100 foot T hose. On my Yanmar with a 4 speed pto 3rd gear I can idle the motor and run the 2 sprinklers at 100 percent. A higher idle in 3rd will blow the seals in the sprinklers.

/ PTO driven water pump #13  
Can you post a picture of your setup? I need to move water from a river into a tank to water my garden and was looking for an inexpensive setup. What type of a pump did you find for so little money?
I just put a watch on ebay for pto pump and when it came up bid on it and got it.
It's similar to this one from Northern Hydraulics for $99. It's mounted on a piece of angle iron with a chain to hold it on the tool bar and a short straight shaft to the pto. If I can find it I'll post a photo. One of the best parts of the one I bought is that it was only about 40 miles away and the guy worked with my neighbor so it was free delivery to my door.
For a real cheapy just to water the garden, I'll bet anyone could easily adapt an old electric well pump if you can find one with a bad motor. Just yank off the motor, fab some brackets and pto shaft (or maybe belt drive) and pump away. Maybe even an automotive water pump would work but I don't know how far it would pump.

Attachments

• 27503_medpump.gif
    27503_medpump.gif
    5 KB · Views: 1,413