PTO driven water pump

/ PTO driven water pump #1  

spinner3436

Tractor
John Deere 750/ New Holland TC29
Does anyone have any ideas on building a pto pump that would pull water from ponds? I have a JD 750 I would like to use for these kinds of jobs.

/ PTO driven water pump #2  
Best bet is probably to take a look at irrigation pumps used by farmers - you'll get lots of design ideas from that, and may even be able to referb an old one...?

/ PTO driven water pump #3  
Does anyone have any ideas on building a pto pump that would pull water from ponds? I have a JD 750 I would like to use for these kinds of jobs.
Depending on how much water you want to pump. I bought one on ebay for $12 that mounts on the drawbar, but only has 1" fittings and is plenty to fill a tank or empty a well. If you want to empty a pond, that's a different story.

/ PTO driven water pump #4  
If you want to wait a couple of days, I will post a picture of the water pump my grandfather used to use on his NAA powered by the 540 pto. He used it to pull water from the two ponds he had for irrigation. It was basically a water pump with a 540 pto adapter mounted to a piece of angle iron which had a chain on one side and was bolted to the tractor to prevent the entire pump from spinning. Its basically the same concept as the prince hydraulic pump with the chain adapter to keep it from spinning.

/ PTO driven water pump #5  
I have a trailer mounted pto pump, this thing will pump ALOT of gallons

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,901
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    761.4 KB · Views: 1,506
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    969.9 KB · Views: 1,267
   / PTO driven water pump #6  
trailer mounted pump like ItsAdams1, come in multi lengths any were from 6 feet to 80 feet. ya just back it in. turn the PTO on. and let it start pumping.

they also have other style of pumps. (diaphragm, roller, piston) water pumps. that just slide over the PTO shaft. and use a chain from pump to some place else on 3pt hitch to keep the pump from twisting. and 2 hoses (1 inlet, 1 outlet) some are geared for fertilizer mixes, and dry powder mixes of fertilizers as well.

they also have trash pumps. or rather pumps able to handle solids say any were from 1/4" to 3" in size pending on pump. without clogging and/or damaging the pump.

===============
all above are PTO pumps. there are some smaller size 12v water pumps for on demand spot sprayers.

================
there are many types of pumps it greatly depends on what you are wanting to do. of what might work better for certain jobs.

pumping water from pond is only part of the story. what will the water be used for?
are you pumping water into tank or a fertilizer tank?
are you watering live stock?
are you trying to aerate the pond?
are you trying to drain the pond?
will it be backup for say firefighters to refill there trucks?
are you wanting to say water a garden with pond water?
or perhaps wash vehicles and tractors and implements with pond water?

============
did a large post of pumps for dredging a pond out. that may also help ya, figure out what you want out of a PTO pump for a pond.

enlarging pond and deeping it.

/ PTO driven water pump #7  
Use to be when you did these kind of projects, you went with what ever worked. Now whenever I see something like this involving PTO, my first thought is the cost of fuel. I cringe to think of a tractor roaring on for hours and the fuel gauge plummeting.

It may be cost efficient to get the biggest pump the tractor can handle so as not be wasting fuel. Or you might consider a gearbox or chain drive to allow good pump speed at low throttle.

/ PTO driven water pump #8  

Hi Spinner3436
Years ago I was in need of moving water from one pond to another to water lawns and gardens. A distance of about 1200 feet and a head of about 40 feet. I managed to lay my hands on a 3x2 mission style pump for nothing. (the right price) I had to mount the pump backwards on the 3 pt hitch mount that I built to get the pump rotation to match that of the PTO. I used belts and sheaves to give it about a 2.5 to 1 increase. It worked like a hot **** and moved a lot of water. Sure wish I still had it but the ex got it AND the tractor. The tractor that I was using at the time was a Satoh 650G, about a 25 horse machine if my memory serves me correctly. Hope this can give you some food for thought . VE6IAZ

/ PTO driven water pump #9  
Here's a commercially available one in a simple configuration:
TrunkPump PTO-Powered Water Pump — 3in., Model# TP-3PT | Semi Trash | Northern Tool + Equipment

Most surplus pumps will need a step-up drive to operate from a PTO.

If it's for occasional use, an engine driven pump might be a lot more cost effective.
Powerhorse Semi-Trash Water Pump — 3in. Ports, 208cc, 14,160 GPH | Semi Trash | Northern Tool + Equipment
Portable Clear Water Pump with 6.5 HP Gas Engine and 3" Inlet/Outlet

/ PTO driven water pump #10  
Depending on how much water you want to pump. I bought one on ebay for $12 that mounts on the drawbar, but only has 1" fittings and is plenty to fill a tank or empty a well. If you want to empty a pond, that's a different story.

Can you post a picture of your setup? I need to move water from a river into a tank to water my garden and was looking for an inexpensive setup. What type of a pump did you find for so little money?