Fun & Easy Project "Little Red Wagon"

/ Fun & Easy Project "Little Red Wagon" #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
This is a good project for a novice welder.

furst ya builds a stove, then ya installs it. OOH, now I gots to take wood into the house. No problem, got a hand truck, not good, build an ugly 3 wheel cart, didn't like the idea from the start and like it less now that its done. Look a 'Red Flyer" wagons on the net. Didn't realize that under the red paint was Gold. Looked at HF's small wagons, pretty cheesy.

Make yours any size you like, below is the size I wanted

I needed a wagon a little smaller than 2'x3' so it would fit through the house easy. 22"x32" Seamed like a good size, time to get it done.

Buy 1/8"x1"x1" steel 12' long. 45 Degree notches at 12", 32", 22" & 32", bend into a nice rectangle, let the wild end stick out until everything is square straight and flat. Clamp together and weld corners, cut off wild end weld joint, after welding that your about 1/3 done. Well almost. I added some flat stock under each corner and a short piece of angle to the joint.

Checked my treasure pile and picked out some choice junk, odds & ends of rebar, heavy duty shelf rail, hunk of light "C" channel, Old barn hinge, some conduit and old shovel handle. Add in some brand new 5/8" bolts & nuts.

I had the tires & wheels, got a dozen of them at an estate sale a while back. Harbor Freight sells them for about $6.00 each. I had one that would not hold air and used it for the steering axle. If you have a old swivel chair that would work well. Or with a big bolt, a few washers and some "C" channel and you can build one.

The box shown on the wagon does have 4 sides. I removed one to make loading and unloading a little easier. I also made a flat bed version, they just lift off. I weight about 150 Lbs. and can jump up & down in the wagon. I have some heavy mesh like most store bought wagons use. But didn't want the holes letting junk drop through.

When not used for fire wood, there are lots of other uses for a hand pulled wagon.

Be happy to answer most any question you may have. Think the pictures pretty well show how to build the wagon. Yes I made 4 sides to the box, took 1 off for easy loading & unloading.

Attachments

• wagon frame 3.jpg
    wagon frame 3.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 845
  • wagon frame 4.jpg
    wagon frame 4.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 693
  • wagon rails 2.jpg
    wagon rails 2.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 265
  • wood cart 3.jpg
    wood cart 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
  • wagon load.jpg
    wagon load.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 271
   / Fun & Easy Project "Little Red Wagon" #2  
I was kind of expecting to see a Dodge pickup.

But this is good too