How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use?

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #1  

PACountryGuy

Tractor
Kubota
I didn't want to hijack the thread on the home made splitter that is going now, so I'll start this new one.

Nike talked there about converting a splitter to 3-point hitch use when an engine would get tired.

What is involved in that? Specifically, how do you connect the PTO to the hydraulic pump? What RPM do you set on the tractor tachometer?

I'm also interested in putting an old chipper on the 3-point hitch. It is an old, old upright Troybilt, a pretty strong piece of original Troybilt. The chipper engine is still fine, but I have been pondering putting the chipper on the tractor. Then I get lost in RPM. I don't know how fast the chipper engine turns, nor do I know how to get the chipper pulley driven by the PTO. I wouldn't want to run the chipper at too high an RPM.

I have a Kubota B2710. I set the engine on 2560 RPM to drive the Brush Bull, but I realize I don't know the RPM at the PTO.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #2  
Most small engines run at around 3600 rpm. If you want to use the PTO running at 540 rpm to turn something that was running at 3600 rpm, you will have to use a gear ratio of 6.66 : 1. You could do this by belts and pulleys, or chain and sprockets. or a gear box unit of 6 : 1 ratio.

There should be a mark on the speedometer for the PTO to run at 540.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use?
Now I remember about the PTO RPM. Thanks for reminding me.

I know about belt or gear reduction. What I don't know is what parts are available to mechanically fasten the PTO to something else.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #4  
Now I remember about the PTO RPM. Thanks for reminding me.

I know about belt or gear reduction. What I don't know is what parts are available to mechanically fasten the PTO to something else.

If you look at some old farm equipment, you will see a variety of ways to do this. In general, you will need a standard PTO driveshaft (with U-joints and sliding section to allow length to adjust) that will go between the tractor output shaft and the input shaft of your equipment. You need to look for used shafts because buying new would probably be a pretty expensive proposition.

You will have to build some type of subframe for the speed increaser unit that would go on the mounted equipment. Either belt or chain drive would probably work. Sounds like an interesting project.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #5  
I am running a chipper behind a 24 hp Kubota. You will find that most old chippers use three belts to transfer the power to the hammers or knives. It is important to have something to lessen the repeated "shocking " to the system. Old buzz saws often used a large cast iron fly wheel. My chipper is a WWW model. Like most over built things of the past the company was sold and no longer exists. It has served me well.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #6  
PACountryGuy,

Most small engines run at around 3600 RPM.

Is the engine still on the Troybuilt chipper? If so, and you can turn the engine, How many turns on the engine shaft to get the chipper shaft to turn once. That should tell you the reduction ratio.

If the chipper shaft is turning at a 6 : 1 ratio, that means that the chipper shaft is turning at 600 rpm, and then you can connect the PTO shaft directly to the chipper shaft. Your tractor may also have 800 rpm, or 1000 rpm.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #8  
PACountryGuy,

Is the engine still on the Troybuilt chipper? If so, and you can turn the engine, How many turns on the engine shaft to get the chipper shaft to turn once. That should tell you the reduction ratio.

I'm assuming this is a small chipper shredder and all the ones I've seen are direct drive, like my Craftsman (8.5hp Tecumseh), so they turn at engine speed. I don't think the engine runs quite at 3600 given it's size, probably more like 3000.

/ How do I convert a splitter and chipper to 3-point hitch use? #10  
1,675 RPM
Disc Size 20"
Chipper Disc Weight 140 lbs.

I have an older Bearcat PTO chipper shredder, but this should be close.

So the increase of 540 rpm to 1675 rpm , equates to a 3.1 ratio. The rpms for the machines will vary as to the weight of the chipper disc. You are also getting into blade tip speeds for the shredder knives.