Poured concrete Ballast box build

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build
"I like that idea! This ballast box is gonna be a Swiss army knife by the time we finish with him. :laughing:"

Yeah I'm thinking I may have to go back to the drawing board and make more room for all this stuff. :)

Yeah I too am planning on adding a eye or two, just in case I need to move it when I have something on the three point or my backhoe on, or even set it on a trailer or in the back of a truck, figure my buddies will want to try it out. Your box looks really nice, I like the storage part as well.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #24  
Good looking project, here's a link to the weight box I built, :thumbsup:.* I added two lifting eyes that make it simple to hook up using my HF 1 ton chain fall, :cool:.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/190530-made-3-point-weight-box.htmlKC, :D :D :D

Your link just goes to a current TBN page, I couldn't see your box ?

Yeah I too am planning on adding a eye or two, just in case I need to move it when I have something on the three point or my backhoe on, or even set it on a trailer or in the back of a truck, figure my buddies will want to try it out. Your box looks really nice, I like the storage part as well.

Why couldn't you just use the top link for lifting ? I think it would handle the weight ?

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #26  
I like that idea! This ballast box is gonna be a Swiss army knife by the time we finish with him. :laughing:

I didn't put a receiver tube on my JD steel box when I filled it with concrete, cause I figured I wouldn't want the heavy box when moving trailers. But now I think I'll weld one on, still probably only use it for occasional trailer moving, but they are so handy for other things like you mentioned.

I am a nut for those receiver hitch tubes, I have them on everything, my loader bucket, my two 3pt QH's just mounted one on my lawn tractor for a tool carrier I rigged up.

As far as what type of pipe to use for shovels rakes etc, just had another thought. We're worried about plastic breaking and metal rusting, how about a pipe just used as a form, before the concrete sets, twist the pipe around to loosen so it could be removed, then the hole in the concrete could be re-sleeved if the pipe needed to be replaced.
I used 1.5 inch pipe, most tools fit, but some of the new plastic handled tools don't, so I would say stay with 2 inch, even a skinny handled tool wont slop around much, about 30 inches seems to be a good height.

JB.
I love your ballast box. here is an example of why a picture is worth a thousand words. Who would have thought you could get so much thought into something like this?

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #27  
Well The Ballast box has had to be placed on hold for now, till all this dang water goes down. Geez what a mess, we have been super busy this week. Anyway, I did get to add a receiver hitch to the rear of the ballast box, still have to add a couple of hooks to hang chains from.

Anyway Back to the question , I'm placing two three foot long pieces of PVC in the box for shovels, rakes ect. and was trying to figure out the best thing to do on the bottom of the PVC I was planning on putting a cap on the bottom but I still need a way for water and stuff to drain out. Any Ideas from people that have storage tubes in there boxes?

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #29  
Anyway Back to the question , I'm placing two three foot long pieces of PVC in the box for shovels, rakes ect. and was trying to figure out the best thing to do on the bottom of the PVC I was planning on putting a cap on the bottom but I still need a way for water and stuff to drain out. Any Ideas from people that have storage tubes in there boxes?

Hmm, good question. The way I did mine is not gonna help you, cause mine is poured in the steel ballast box, I just used drain board cut out for the pipes, which leaves the bottom honey combed, and I just had to drill one drain hole in the bottom of the box.

For yours with concrete bottom, how about bring the pipe all the way to the bottom and instead of a cap on the bottom insert a pc of rebar thru the side walls of the pipe, about 2 inches from the bottom. That would leave the bottom open but still support the tool handle.
Instead of rebar, you could use some flat stock that would close off more of the bottom but still leave enough opening for debris and water to get out. I would extend that steel a couple of inches past the pipe to hold in the crete.
Or one long pc thru as many pipes as you can

What size pipe are you thinking of? I used 1.5, 3 and 4 inch, but I'd recommend 2 inch minimum. with the large pipe you can put a few tools at once. if you want to carry a grub ax or regular ax you'll need at least a 3 inch.

JB

Had not thought about the rod thru the bottom, that would be good for large debri that got into the tube, plus help hold it in place.