Poured concrete Ballast box build

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
Well With all the talk about Ballast boxes it has gotten me into the mood to build mine finally. Not sure on final weight of the box yet, is the 150 lbs per square foot figure dried weight of concrete or wet?? The box is 40" wide , 24" tall, 16" deep. From my calculations I'm looking at approximately 8.89 cubic feet for a total of around 1330 plus the steel, Does this sound about right? Here are a few pics of what I have done so far. Still Have to add some wire and two pieces of PVC for holding shovels and rake handles.

Attachments

• Photo0880.jpg
    Photo0880.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 4,500
  • Photo0881.jpg
    Photo0881.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Photo0882.jpg
    Photo0882.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 1,243
   / Poured concrete Ballast box build
With the frame in the form.

Attachments

• Photo0884.jpg
    Photo0884.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 4,056
  • Photo0883.jpg
    Photo0883.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 1,566
  • Photo0885.jpg
    Photo0885.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Photo0886.jpg
    Photo0886.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 2,266
   / Poured concrete Ballast box build #3  
Well With all the talk about Ballast boxes it has gotten me into the mood to build mine finally. Not sure on final weight of the box yet, is the 150 lbs per square foot figure dried weight of concrete or wet?? The box is 40" wide , 24" tall, 16" deep. From my calculations I'm looking at approximately 8.89 cubic feet for a total of around 1330 plus the steel, Does this sound about right? Here are a few pics of what I have done so far. Still Have to add some wire and two pieces of PVC for holding shovels and rake handles.

The weight is almost the same for wet and dry, that's the interesting thing about cement based materials, it converts water into a solid form, the weight of the water is still in there.

Cement hydration

That's alot of weight, what size tractor? I used pvc pipe in mine, but I'd suggest steel, plastic can break easily if it's sticking out like mine. Mine are 30 inches long.

I'd weld some cross pcs on the top link tube, so it's not just relying on the weld but holding in the concrete.

JB.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #4  
Looking good countrybumpkin:thumbsup:.....got an extra trailer hitch laying around the shop doing nothing? Could prove handy if it were growing out of the concrete for those trailer jockying chores.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #5  
Put some kind of a pin type hitch out the back. You just never know when you may need it and don't want to take the box off. Also put a chafer in the corners it will look so much nicer.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #6  
This looks good. I've been thinking about something similar, but a couple of ideas I had (might be too late for you)- I've got a 2x2 receiver tube to put in mine. Also, I'm thinking of making the base low enough that it will sit on the ground with the 3 point all the way down to simplify taking it on and off. I would also suggest embedding a few screw in attachments. I don't know what they are called but you can get threaded couplers and if you have them just inside the form, you will be able to hand any kind of hook, loop, etc off the box by just bolting it on.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #7  
Very good job. Neat and well thought out. And the best part, it is
theif proof and will last forever.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build
Thanks everyone, I'm going to be using it on a Kubota L3410. The hitch Idea has crossed my mind, along with the threaded inserts, I am planning on bending up some round rod and making hooks for holding a chain or rope or even buckets. I may look into placing something in the corners to round them. The hitch is placed 13" from the bottom of the box so I can easily set it on the ground and the QH will release without having to set it on something.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #9  
I just did something very similar. My suggestion, consider lining the form with plastic. It will help to keep the concrete hydrated. The wood will pull water away from it. I think that's what happened with mine because the surface of the concrete didn't cure quite as hard. But I duct taped small pieces of trim on the corners of the form to round off the edges of the block. The spots where the concrete was in contact with the duct tape cured very well and hard.

/ Poured concrete Ballast box build #10  
I just did something very similar. My suggestion, consider lining the form with plastic. It will help to keep the concrete hydrated. The wood will pull water away from it. I think that's what happened with mine because the surface of the concrete didn't cure quite as hard. But I duct taped small pieces of trim on the corners of the form to round off the edges of the block. The spots where the concrete was in contact with the duct tape cured very well and hard.

Just wet the form well with water before you pour the concrete. Lining it with plastic foil will also not look good, you will get marks in the concrete were the plastic is wrinkled. Then do not remove the form for some days, the longer the better for curing the concrete.

Last edited: