Building an intermediate log splitter hoist

/ Building an intermediate log splitter hoist #1  

NH Mike

Bronze Member
Tractor
ASV PT-60, Case 310B, Deere B, Ford 8N, Hustler Raptor SD.
I started a new project for the back of my Case 310B. I've been using a new2 me 3pt log splitter on the back of my tractor, but I'm getting tired of lifting the big stuff. So I decided to build a 3pt hoist that will mount on the tractor and will also support the splitter on the back side of it. Building it this way will allow me to use the hoist as a stand alone implement.

I'm posting the videos each day I work on it to Youtube so please take a look and tell me what you think. The pivot assembly may surprise you.

Thanks for looking,
Mike.
YouTube - Building A Log Splitter Hoist #1

YouTube - Building a Log Crane #2

/ Building an intermediate log splitter hoist #2  
Looks intriguing ! I'm jealous of the equipment you have at your disposal. Luckily for me, you are close enough for me to come down so you can make me something similar for my splitter ! ;)

Can't wait to see the rest. :thumbsup:

/ Building an intermediate log splitter hoist #3  
just one question, why not mount it on the tractor so the base is on the ground like i did ..see pics. you don't need to lift the logs that way....interesting build. ill keep looking at the progress.

i also love to design and build stuff.

Attachments

• splitter 1.jpg
    splitter 1.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • splitter 5.jpg
    splitter 5.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 671
   / Building an intermediate log splitter hoist
The vertical splitters are nice, but I don't want to work bent over turning big wood all day. The lift I'm building will also include a winch for moving the big ones out of the wood pile to the splitter.

/ Building an intermediate log splitter hoist #5  
wow nice. and the videos are top notch...I had some plans to build a similar hoist . and had the use of the hubs in mind, but envisoned using the rim to mount the top part of the hoist to.This way i could quickly pop it off. But your idea looks to be real neat and clean and functional...I like the reuse of older metal stuff... Cant wait to se the next video... and wondering if it wil be hydraulic or electric operated..

The hoist will be built from my 2 ton engine hoist. I'm going to replace the hand operated pump cylinder with a single action version from a snow plow frame. The hydraulic power will come from a 12volt hydraulic unit that came with the base I'm using. I think everything is going to work pretty smoothly. I'll have a new video available tomorrow.

Looks intriguing ! I'm jealous of the equipment you have at your disposal. Luckily for me, you are close enough for me to come down so you can make me something similar for my splitter ! ;)

Can't wait to see the rest. :thumbsup:

I'd be more than happy to help you build on of these.

/ Building an intermediate log splitter hoist #8  
What is the plan for finished copy?

/ Building an intermediate log splitter hoist #10  
When will we see it finished? Lifting logs, splitting logs. When will be the time to celebrate?
:drink: