Grapple kits?

/ Grapple kits? #11  
I'm not arguing that there is no market nor do I think many folks would have difficulty with the fabrication but I like the idea of offering either the kit or fully assembled grapple. That way welding amateurs can think through whether it really makes sense to run out to Sears or HF for welding equipment rather than just pay for the company to efficiently weld the thing together before shipping. Again, the question is how much one would really save doing the welding of the kit.

/ Grapple kits? #13  
I'm still interested in such a kit for a backhoe thumb. I like the Michigan iron shared pivot one, but for the CO$T
Then I can grab a $49 flux core welder from HF and "have AT it".

/ Grapple kits? #14  
I can see where you want to use your plasma cutter for a business, but I can have a $250K laser cut my designs for a buck a minute of burn time and the results don't have any post-cut prep needed. I wouldn't buy a kit that came with drossy edges that needed grinding to weld. Use your plasma for prototyping, then farm out the cutting to someone with real equipment. You'll save money in the long run, I guarantee it.

As Evertything Attachments has done, you too would need to have someone not related to the organization/design team build your kit before you attempted marketing it to make sure that your instructions and whatnot were viable in the field. You also need to do some real world testing on your design prior to fielding the beta testers units. CAD is a wonderful thing, but every engineer makes mistakes now and again, or maybe something just doesn't work as well as you thought it would when you conjured one up into the real world. So it sounds like you're a bit ahead of yourself talking about selling these when you don't have proof that yours works as intended.

Don't misconstrue my words - I'm self employed, manufacturing and distributing something I invented, so I wish you the absolute best of luck. I just want you to go down a path set up for success, which is why I'm being critical of your plan. It's a long hard road and the beginning, especially, is slow and painful. The end isn't all ice cream and lollipops either. I spent a good part of the last two days trying to figure out how to overcome a quality issue from my salt bath nitriding vendor - this is the 6th lot I've had them do, and it's the 4th that's been reworked once already. I've been doing these for a little over 2 years now, and the kinks keep on coming.

You'll have logistics issues, and without volume you'll have pricing problems with distribution and materials (another reason to have a bigger shop make your stuff for you - they buy steel cheaper than you can). EA found out their kit wasn't viable, or maybe they didn't think it fit with their business model. Kits are going to be extremely low volume and high labor. If that's all you're doing, maybe it can work. I don't think they wanted to tie up their CS department with the hours of babysitting that might be needed as people put kits together. They control costs with manufactured products; you know how fast your guys can weld them, you know how much it costs to paint the unit, you know what it costs to ship it - so when you set the price you know how much of that stays in your pocket (and remember that Uncle Sam is going to take 1/3 of it). When you offer a kit, you'll have a lot more questions, and post-sale follow up, both of which are unknowns. I'd imagine the lawyers also didn't like that Johnny homeowner might be using a $80 fluxcore machine to weld up their kit and the liability might come back to haunt them.

I started my company out of desperation. I had no ability to hold a job, and still don't, due to mechanical problems with my nerve function in both hands combined with chronic neck pain. There's a lot of days I'd love to just work for someone else and collect a paycheck. Don't quit your day job! I didn't have that option. I was fired because I couldn't perform. Working for myself I can do things as I'm able, but my income isn't what it would be if I was still on someone else's payroll, at least not yet. :)

/ Grapple kits? #15  
Then I can grab a $49 flux core welder from HF and "have AT it".

IMHO, that is exactly why you don't and won't see DIY "kits" from any company.

/ Grapple kits? #16  
I didn't even notice this was from 2011 when I read the thread today. :) Looks like there's more issues to getting kits in circulation than anyone has thought for some time.

Could you imagine the court costs if a mounting plate failed when someone was bucking a log and they got crushed?

/ Grapple kits? #17  

Welllll...... I WAS joking, but;
There is any amount of "weld on" things that (unskilled) consumers can and do buy in many areas, not just Ag., then run their HF flux core gun like a hot melt glue gun - done and DONE.
Lookit, I gotta bead, whats wrong with that ?
"Penetration" whats that ? Some sorta sex talk, or what ?
:D

However, a case extant; Backhoe thumbs

/ Grapple kits? #18  

I don't see the problem. Sell a pile of pre-cut metal parts with no warranty, no guarantee, no promise of them being suitable for what they were designed for. Vague hand drawn picture of how you might want to weld it together, a phone number that no one answers the phone. It's done all the time, although he might have to move to china or sell it through a chinese firm to buffer any lawsuits.

/ Grapple kits? #19  
How about a well designed kit that uses tabs and slots and bolts to stay together. Bolt it up and then use an HF fluxcore welder to weld the bolts in place.

/ Grapple kits? #20  
Again, that these people are doing it provides SOME evidence that it can be done.
CDP backhoe

also, these people have been doing it for quite some time and I don't think they are incorporated in a liability protected country.
MetKit Corp - Home Page