OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines?

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #1  

thumbtrap

Ok - I know this is wierd, but we got some wierd people here. Is anyone here into building or restoring Hit and Miss engines, Stirling engines, or anything else like that? I just signed up for a machining course at the local community college - and I'm looking around for a project. I have a couple stirling plans, the instructor has some plans for a Hit and Miss engine.

IF you're into model engines, sound off, especially if you have plans for anything more eccentric that the two I've mentioned.

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #2  
I've got dad's Gallaway 6hp buzz saw in the barn.
Really large unit for only 6 hp, about 4' dia. flywheels.
When I was in machine trades in hi school the
class built several small hit-miss engines running
on shop air.
The plans called for a very small unit 2" flywheels so
we scaled up 2x and 4x.
These were some really fun projects, got lots of
attention at open houses.

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #3  
Is this the same as " Make and Break" engines.

If so Lunenburgh foundry in Nova Scotia could probably supply you with a brand new one for around $5000.

Egon

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines?
Ouch. Since this is a shop class, the point is for ME to BUILD something - just about anything. I was just looking for something out of the ordinary to make.

I've not heard the term "Make or Break" applied to an engine - but a Hit and Miss engine is not throttle governed - instead it just doesn't fire if it's above the governed speed.

Bang chug chug chug chug chug chug chug
Bang chug chug chug chug
Bang chug

When running at full load it would hit every (other in a 4 cycle) stroke.

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #6  
I just joined a club called the antiques engine association, based in starke florida.. some old tractors.. but mostly older hit and miss engines and strange contraptions.

Soundguy

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #7  
SIR,
as a retired machinist, i would suggest you do some smaller projects
in order to get some experience, when you are more confident, then
you could tackle a large project like a "HIT, AND MISS". i am not into
this sort of thing, but i have some friends who are, and they belong to
a club. i suggest you check your area for this type of club, and talk to
some of the members. they can be very helpful.
accordionman
william l. brown

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #8  
Have to agree with accordionman. I took a machine shop course at a local tech school 6 or 7 years ago. Unless you are a fast learner or already have some experience, you probably won't have enough time to complete a hit and miss engine.
I would suggest something less involed. Try for something that gives you lathe experience. Straight turning, tapers, boring, drilling, internal & external threading. You also what experience on a milling machine with use of a dividing head & rotary table.
A good source of projects is Home Shop Machinist magazine. They have a web site.
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net
Your local libarary may have back issues.
Be careful it can be an expensive hobby.

Good Luck

/ OT: Anyone into Hit and Miss engines? #9  
In England they sell all kinds of castings and kits for steam engines and model steam trains. There are some really nice and simple steam engines. I think someone imports these kits and advertises in "Home Shop Machinist".