Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #1  

epinswla

Tractor
Kubota L4300DT
I saw while browsing this excellent website that some were looking for ways to build disc hillers and thought I would share the build I done this past winter while pidlin during the cold weather. The disc hillers are 16"diameter with 22" shanks. The cultivator shanks are standard "C" type with 6" sweeps. (hillers, shanks and sweeps were ordered from ASC) The toolbar was built from 2"x2" heavy wall tubing. I used this set-up to build rows this year and removed the hillers to cultivate between the rows. Works great

Attachments

• DSC01563.jpg
    DSC01563.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 3,358
  • DSC01562.jpg
    DSC01562.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 4,458
  • DSC01566.jpg
    DSC01566.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 3,088
   / Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #2  
Welcome to TBN!
Nice build - I may just "borrow" some of your design ideas for my own hiller effort. I like the thick wall pipe for holding the shanks.
If you have any other build pictures we'd love to see 'em.
-Jim

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #3  
I am currently building the same thing for my 1980 B7100, using old discs from a disc harrow & tines from an old spring harrow, welding up my own brackets, hubs, shanks, etc. But, I want the cultivator tines ahead of the hiller portion. That way the soil/weeds get loosened up & pulled up onto the sides of the row by the trailing discs. I am also planning on using the remaining spring tooth harrow tines to make a 5' landscape rake to use on our cottage driveway/lane after using my 5' rear blade, also hand-clobbered together this winter.

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #4  
Been planning on doing the same thing. I already have the 2"x2" thick walled square tubing cut (1/4" thick) I have some thinner angle iron. That is what I'm concerned with.... what would be a min. thickness for the angle iron parts? Any ideas? (Using on a 30 hp CUT)

In other words... what did you use?

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #5  
Here is one that we just started selling. Super nice machine. 4 inch thick wall square tubing main beam and 3 inch thick wall back beam. $595. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• bigbeehillerfront550.jpg
    bigbeehillerfront550.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,603
  • bigbeehillerbearing550.jpg
    bigbeehillerbearing550.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 847
  • bigbeehillerback550.jpg
    bigbeehillerback550.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,781
   / Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo
Bartcephus, the angle I used was 2x2x1/4. The bracing from angle to toolbar was 3/16 plate and the rest of the iron was 3/8 x 2 1/2 flat bar just cause that is what was handy. My tractor is a Kubota L4300DT and I haven't had any problems with the angle bending. (Yet :D)

Last edited:
   / Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #7  
I saw while browsing this excellent website that some were looking for ways to build disc hillers and thought I would share the build I done this past winter while pidlin during the cold weather. The disc hillers are 16"diameter with 22" shanks. The cultivator shanks are standard "C" type with 6" sweeps. (hillers, shanks and sweeps were ordered from ASC) The toolbar was built from 2"x2" heavy wall tubing. I used this set-up to build rows this year and removed the hillers to cultivate between the rows. Works great

Anyone know where to find the square to round shank clamps in the 3rd pictureDSC01566.jpg? I believe the inside diameter is 1 3/16", which is what I'm searching for. Thanks.

Paul

Last edited:
   / Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #9  
I made mine from odds and ends, too ...

P7010015.JPG

P7010014.JPG

P7010017.JPG

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #10  
I built my cultivator from scratch too. I basically built a toolbar out of 2 x 2 tubing and then took 2 new reese hitch recievers and slid them on my toolbar and welded the arms to mount my c-tines onto the recievers. As my plants grow I can loosen the tightening bolts and slide the c-tines out to widen my tines so as not to destroy my roots.

If I knew how to post pics I'd post it. Anyone want to point me in the right direction to learn to post pics?