Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #1  

HammA5690

Tractor
Jd 2520
I was wondering what everyones thoughts were about using/building a log splitter which uses a large screw and the PTO of the tractor like the one here YouTube - Tractor powered (PTO) log splitter by HyCrack. I have been told that you can not buy one of these in the united states which I can understand but do not totally agree with. They havnt outlawed Lathe's yet have they because that will do worse damage than this little machine.

Anyway, I like the design of it (especially the table which looks like it makes it much safer) and it looks pretty easy to build other than the PTO hookup which im sure I could figure out. The main draw to this for me is that my tractor already has a PTO but does not have power beyond 3rd function. Im actually kind of amazed that there is not some kind of PTO driven wood splitter on the market being that every tractor comes with a PTO but not all come with 3rd function.

Any opinions, ideas, or 2 cents would be great.

Thanks.:D

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #2  
On the danger level, I'd place it somewhere above a ram type splitter and somewhere below a chainsaw. It's not too scary but it is a high speed rotating sharp object.

They aren't outlawed in the US. Several companies make them. Try searching the net for "Stickler" or "Atom Splitter". They even still sell the ones you bolt on to the hub of a car. Now that kind of scares me.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #3  
Watch farm auctions - just had one sell for a bit under $100 last weekend without a table but it would give you most of what yo want without much work or $.
Just be careful!

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #4  
I've seen used ones (from back when they were available here) selling on Craigslist for $100 or so. It would be easy enough to make a table for one. It's not something I'd necessarily strive to own, but I certainly wouldn't think it's any more dangerous than a PTO cordwood saw. I think the biggest danger to them is that when your shirt sleeve gets tangled up in the spinning corkscrew, there is no way to kill the tractor.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #5  
Just my 2 cents worth is I don't think that I would want one. Just too easy for someone not paying attention to get hurt with that thing. Either clothing or hair wrapped up in it. The log spinning around and pinching a finger or something. How well do they do splitting up stuff with Knots in the wrong spot?
With my wood splitter I can split through knots if that makes the wood a better size to fit the wood stove. I just use the tractor to bring the firewood over to the wood splitter and stack the wood as I go.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #6  
They also made a way to attach it to a car wheel hub so you could jack up the car and use the rear wheel to power it.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #7  
Nice setup. Not dangerous IMO. But then I climb behind the steering wheel of a car and go out on the two lane highways too. ;)

The table is a nice addition to these screws. I'd have one, if for nothing else but the big blocks of large diam. trees/logs -- if they were for sale as a unit (know parts can be picked up on eBay).

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #8  
Yeah, perfectly safe, no chance a glove or loose clothing getting caught in the auger:rolleyes:

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter
I don't wear baggy cloths or even shirts with long sleeves and my hands are used all the time without gloves (The tan lines on my hands make me look like a amputee). Plus if I havnt died from my tractor rolling or cut off a limb with the chainsaw so this should be ok too.

/ Opinions of a Screw Type log splitter #10  
Yeah, perfectly safe, no chance a glove or loose clothing getting caught in the auger:rolleyes:

For sure there is a chance. :rolleyes:

More-so if one sticks his gloved hand on the rotating screw or wears loose clothing around the spinning PTO and screw head. And if a person thinks there is that chance for him/her, then my opinion would be that it is not a good tool for them. ;)

Now I cut the right thumb finger off (when using the wood splitter) of my good pair of leather gloves last week. My wife sewed it back together. Now will I stop splitting wood? NO!!
Will I be more careful with my next pair of good leather gloves? YES!!