Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240 GST

Default Re: Homemade Cultipacker

Quote Originally Posted by foggy1111 View Post
    My dunham packer is liely from back in the 50's....its over 7' wide and the shaft is still true. The shaft diameter is going to determine its ability here...but if its solid I think it's good to go.

On the bearings....I think the flange bearings are lower cost and easier aligned.

As far as bearings on a cultipacker go.....the "wheels" all turn independantly on the shaft and the shaft turns sometimes on the packer I have. Its free....but the wheels tend to roll on the shaft about as much as the shaft spins IMO. I doubt that the bearing type matters much unless your pulling it ALLOT.
    The thought I have with pillow block vs flange is that the 2 pillow block bearings are holding all that weight of the wheels and axle when you pick it up with the 3pt.. Going to and from the food plots bouncing around? The flange is basically bolted to metal with a hole thru it.. Might be it doesnt matter and good pillow block bearings will hold the weight?? You see alot of the new ones with pillow block so they cant be all bad- just wondering With pillow blocks I can use square tubing and bolt to-- flange I need plate steel which is costly? I played around last year with a solid roller- see below-- and it worked fine. Do see the need for packer wheels vs solid roller.. I solid this pretty easy.. Now I am looking to build another...

AndyG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Cultipacker-img_1328-jpg   Homemade Cultipacker-img_1334-jpg  
    Lets work in the solution and not in the problem...

Tractor
    John Deere 2520

Wow, there sure are a lot of responses to this post and I love the interest.

Here is some more information on this build.

Packer wheels are shimmed and secured with split locking collars on both of the bearing ends. ( to keep wheels snug and secure from sliding on the axle )

On this particular model pictured I used 2 bolt flange bearing over pillow block bearings for the simple fact I feel they are better supported for side load.
    ( when the shaft is pulled sideways from the bearing )

I also think the flange bearing is better protected from rocks by being enclosed it the frame. ( this also captivates the axle and keeps it from sliding out of the framework if the setscrews would ever loosen up )

The packer wheels are also placed behind the main tube to give it a " better " pulling action. ( this also keeps the roller from tipping over when unhooked )

We also use use a solid 1 3/4" grade 1045 cold rolled axle.

I was raised on a dairy farm and I know first hand about all the potential problems when it comes to machinery.

So my theory is this, build all potential problems " out " of the machine so they can be avoided all together.

If anyone is interested in purchasing one, I would be more than happy to help make it possible.

I can ship common carrier to anywhere in the continental USA.

We also have other widths available.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions.
    Regards.

Tom
    Last edited by Muhammad; 05-13-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Removed advertising.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520

Side view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Cultipacker-dsc03031-jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere 4020

Okay gotta hang my newbie out what is a cultipacker for?

Plow and disk I understand cultipacker notsomuch
    Grayson Klassen
    Fort St John, BC, Canada

JD4020
    JD148 FEL

Platinum Member

compact the surface and break up any clods. It will make the top of the soilds around here like powder and works the air out. Good looking build. I rehab about 5-6 of these a year and conver them to 3 point or flip style to be used with a hitch. the biggest issue we have found in rehabing a unit that was never ment to be picked up is middle support. I started making a 3/8 plate with a somewhat loose fitting brass bushing in it. The rods are never a consistant size end to end because as mentioned before the rollers roll on the shaft sometimes nad sometimes the shaft rolls.

Good looking cultipacker. I hvae never concidered making one from scratch. What do you get for them?

Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Very nice build. Would look good in Orange too.
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Tractor
    John Deere 2520

I believe the John Deere dealer was selling them for $1,700 - $1,800.

Of course they put there mark up on it for selling them.

Depending on " location " , I could possibly have them delivered to your door fully assembled for $1,700 to $1,900.

I am located in northern Wisconsin.

Like most of you have mentioned already, the packing wheels are what makes the cost.

Tom

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

I can see where the flange bearings are well-suited for this purpose...for the reasons stated above. Also, you see allot of discs with these bearings and they have lots of the same requirements.

FWIW.....I can remember back into the 50's when these bearings were pretty new....and folks questioned the durability back then for a snow plow application we had. They are pretty tough! SSDD
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

Nice. That's the way I'd build a 3pt cultipacker.
    For your next project, build a towed cultipacker with hydraulically raised/lowered wheels/tires for transporting. IMHO, towed cultipackers are superior to the 3pt type. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Quote Originally Posted by premierindustries View Post
    Wow, there sure are a lot of responses to this post and I love the interest.

Here is some more information on this build.

Packer wheels are shimmed and secured with split locking collars on both of the bearing ends. ( to keep wheels snug and secure from sliding on the axle )

On this particular model pictured I used 2 bolt flange bearing over pillow block bearings for the simple fact I feel they are better supported for side load.
    ( when the shaft is pulled sideways from the bearing )

I also think the flange bearing is better protected from rocks by being enclosed it the frame. ( this also captivates the axle and keeps it from sliding out of the framework if the setscrews would ever loosen up )

The packer wheels are also placed behind the main tube to give it a " better " pulling action. ( this also keeps the roller from tipping over when unhooked )

We also use use a solid 1 3/4" grade 1045 cold rolled axle.

I was raised on a dairy farm and I know first hand about all the potential problems when it comes to machinery.

So my theory is this, build all potential problems " out " of the machine so they can be avoided all together.

If anyone is interested in purchasing one, I would be more than happy to help make it possible.

I can ship common carrier to anywhere in the continental USA.

We also have other widths available.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions.
    Regards.

Tom

What country cast your rollers? Ken Sweet
    Last edited by Muhammad; 05-13-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Removed advertising.
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast