Homemade Cultipacker

/ Homemade Cultipacker #1  

premierindustries

Tractor
John Deere 2520
Thought I would post some pictures of my latest build.

Any comments and advice is appreciated.

We just built two of these for the local John Deere dealer.

Frame width 7'

Total weight 500 lbs.

I-Match compatible.

I wish I had some photos of the build, but all I have is the finished product.

Attachments

• DSC03028.jpg
    DSC03028.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 3,482
  • DSC03033.jpg
    DSC03033.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 989
  • DSC03036.jpg
    DSC03036.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 1,380
  • DSC03037.jpg
    DSC03037.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 1,720
Last edited by a moderator:
   / Homemade Cultipacker #2  
Nice looking machine.

/ Homemade Cultipacker #3  
Looks very well built! :thumbsup: I have an old 7' Dunham with an alternating "sprocket" tooth and a 'wavy" tooth, which we pull around by a drawbar with a 4 wheeler. Seems to me like my "wheels" are quite loose on the shaft so that they will follow all the small contours of the land. I imagine I have an inch of "slop" between the axel and the wheel I.D. :confused: I'm not sure if you have this kind of gap....or what others do in this area. Mine packs nicely. (but I sure make a racket when going down the road. :laughing:)

/ Homemade Cultipacker #4  
That looks really nice. I am getting ready to make one also, using some old 20" crow foot rollers. I also may design it to allow towing in addition to a 3 pt. hitch. I would think towing it may allow it to follow contours better than if it was attached to the hitch. It would be easy to add a tongue. The 3 pt. hitch sure is better for loading on a trailer or transporting down a road or between foodplots. WHat do you guys thing about towing vs. a 3 pt. as far as effectiveness?? Does it matter??

Just curious, what is the dealer going to sell these for?

/ Homemade Cultipacker #5  
Nice.. What size is the shaft? 1 1/2 or larger... Also what type 4 flange bearings did you use and why not pillow block bearings?

I hopefully will be making on soon and was wondering why the difference in "factory" packers with pillow block vs 4 flange bearings...

Last question.. With the 7ft wide do you think it would be good to add a center bearing or is that shaft fine and no sagging?

AndyG

/ Homemade Cultipacker #6  
I've actually been looking for one of these. Where are you located, how much do they sell for?

/ Homemade Cultipacker #7  
Are they "homemade" if you put a company name on them and sell them wholesale? ;)

/ Homemade Cultipacker #8  
Nice.. What size is the shaft? 1 1/2 or larger... Also what type 4 flange bearings did you use and why not pillow block bearings?

I hopefully will be making on soon and was wondering why the difference in "factory" packers with pillow block vs 4 flange bearings...

Last question.. With the 7ft wide do you think it would be good to add a center bearing or is that shaft fine and no sagging?

AndyG

My dunham packer is liely from back in the 50's....its over 7' wide and the shaft is still true. The shaft diameter is going to determine its ability here...but if its solid I think it's good to go.

On the bearings....I think the flange bearings are lower cost and easier aligned. :confused:

As far as bearings on a cultipacker go.....the "wheels" all turn independantly on the shaft and the shaft turns sometimes on the packer I have. Its free....but the wheels tend to roll on the shaft about as much as the shaft spins IMO. I doubt that the bearing type matters much unless your pulling it ALLOT.

/ Homemade Cultipacker #9  
Thought I would post some pictures of my latest build.
Any comments and advice is appreciated.
We just built two of these for the local John Deere dealer.
Frame width 7'
Total weight 500 lbs.
I-Match compatible.
I wish I had some photos of the build, but all I have is the finished product.

Looks like very high quality build. Extremely nice welds. How much to have one shipped to PA?
How much to ship the parts and I'll weld and build, as a option?
regards,
Steve

/ Homemade Cultipacker #10  
VERY NICE BUILD, :thumbsup: Ive been looking at building one or two, Those dang packer wheels are not cheap, 10.00 bucks plus shiping, Gets pretty pricey, I think those wheels are the smallest they make? Can you share where you got those packer wheels, Thanks Eric