Ever built your own pine straw rake?

/ Ever built your own pine straw rake? #1  

Perplexed

Silver Member
I've been pondering the concept of building my own pine straw rake, using some angle iron and flat bar steel stock that I have in my shop. I'm envisioning the removal of the blade from my rear scraper blade, and bolting up the home-made PSR to the lower edge of the scraper. That way I can use an implement in my inventory and not have to bother with fabricating a 3PT setup.

However, PSR tines are expensive - I've seen them going for $15 apiece! I figure to make up a 60" PSR, it'd cost me more than $510 just for the tines alone :eek:

Now I know I can just order one cheaper from EA, but to have it shipped, they'd have to cut the 3PT, and I'd have to re-weld it. Not only that, but I'd have to find a local pickup point and make the arrangements, etc. Besides, I want to see if I can't make my own implement - bragging rights and all that, you know :D

Has anyone here ever made up their own PSR (note: I mean a PSR, and not a landscape rake, two different critters) for less money?

/ Ever built your own pine straw rake? #2  
I dont see why it wouldnt work, since it would cost so much less, i say give it a try:thumbsup:

/ Ever built your own pine straw rake? #4  
Here is a picture of the one I made for my Trackhoe. It works great. I don't remember the cost of the tines but they are from a farm store and were less than $5 each.

Attachments

• Rake.bmp
    456.9 KB · Views: 2,015
   / Ever built your own pine straw rake?
Deere, I was using the EA PSR as a template for figuring out how much it'd cost me to make up my own rake. I think their 60" rake had 34 or 35 tines on it, and they sell those tines for $15 apiece, so it's not going to be cheaper using the same tines as on their PSR. Gotta find the tines for much cheaper, or use something else (see below)

GT, that PSR appears to be the same one that EA sells. To have it shipped to a residential address from Smart Farmers, the freight cost would be over $120 :eek:

Kays, that's the cheaper tine I've seen online. It doesn't seem to be as long or flexible as the tines on the PSR's being sold though; have you had any issues with the shorter tines especially over tree roots and such? Do you find you have to stop and clear the short tines often, as the pine needles probably bunch up faster?

/ Ever built your own pine straw rake? #6  
Yes the shipping seems pretty high considering I can have a chipper shipped for less than that from GA to Durham, NC

You can get the shorter tines from TSC for around $2 a piece I think it is. I'm going to be using them to make a rake along with a dethatcher.

/ Ever built your own pine straw rake? #7  
Deere, I was using the EA PSR as a template for figuring out how much it'd cost me to make up my own rake. I think their 60" rake had 34 or 35 tines on it, and they sell those tines for $15 apiece, so it's not going to be cheaper using the same tines as on their PSR. Gotta find the tines for much cheaper, or use something else (see below)

GT, that PSR appears to be the same one that EA sells. To have it shipped to a residential address from Smart Farmers, the freight cost would be over $120 :eek:

Kays, that's the cheaper tine I've seen online. It doesn't seem to be as long or flexible as the tines on the PSR's being sold though; have you had any issues with the shorter tines especially over tree roots and such? Do you find you have to stop and clear the short tines often, as the pine needles probably bunch up faster?

Sorry I thought you meant you were making the tines as well from steel you had. (I guess I misread it)