Splicing/braiding wire rope

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #1  

Chain Bender

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
or cable as most know it. I'd give my right nad and the mortgage on my left to know how to splice this stuff and make eyes on the end. Anyone know of any good and REALLY easy instructions with LOTS of BIG SLOW pictures anwhere?:D

thanks in advance
Chain Bender

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #3  
I've attached some scanned pages from a little 1967 booklet, Handbook For Riggers by W.G. (Bill) Newberry. I hope you can read it OK. I had to reduce the scan area and resolution to 100 dpi so it would fit under TBN's 1,000 KB limit for .pdf files.

Attachments

• CableSplicing_0002.pdf
    485.6 KB · Views: 1,264
   / Splicing/braiding wire rope #4  
One more source of information, even older, would be the USN Bluejacket's Manual, circa WWII, which has some step by step instructions on splicing wire ropes. They printed millions of them, and you can find them here and there.

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #5  
I'll bet the Bluejacket manual would have some helpful info. I learned to splice rope in Boy Scouts and learned a little more in the Navy. Sure is a nice skill to have. The best teacher is a real person, but there are a few Youtube videos on it.

edit: looks like I opened this thread awhile before actually hitting reply. Sorry for repeat info.

Dave

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope
I'll bet the Bluejacket manual would have some helpful info. I learned to splice rope in Boy Scouts and learned a little more in the Navy. Sure is a nice skill to have. The best teacher is a real person, but there are a few Youtube videos on it.

edit: looks like I opened this thread awhile before actually hitting reply. Sorry for repeat info.

Dave

XXXXXXXXXXXX

I can splice rope, make eyes and butt splices that look great. At one time back in the 70's I could braid/splice the big dock lines used on tankers.
Cable is another color of a different zebra.

Thanks for all the links guys. Will try them soon. I', on dial up at 56K and only get 28.8 on a good day, so videos aren't likely. But BIG pictures are welcomed.

CB

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #7  
search for halo wire rope on you tube

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #8  
Holy cow - marlinspike tractor skilz!
Make sure you wear some good, heavy gloves, a leather apron and a full face helmet when you take that first job on.
You'll put your eye out with that thing!
I've done quite a few short splice, end splice and eye splices in 3 strand rope and even done an end and eye splice in double braid 12 strand, but doing it in steel rope (I would think) adds a whole level of difficulty and flailing sharp metal bits. Manly man stuff, that.

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #9  
Actually use to do that in Forestry Class back in the '70's . Two guys working together could either splice 2 cables together or as you mentioned make an "eye" in 10 minutes or less . For a long time , it was just part of the class and also part of the State Forestry competition but now with all the insurance chasers , they rarely even run a chain saw .:confused:

We use to practice on old rusty chokers and main line donated by logging companies . Most was 1" or better in size . Would use a torch in Metal shop to whack it into manageable lengths .

Heck , that was 35 years ago .:confused2:

Fred H.

P.S. Not sure if this link will work but interesting reading .

http://www.wescovan.com/catalogs/WireRopeTerminations.pdf

/ Splicing/braiding wire rope #10  
Thanks for that link - very interesting. Some of the mysteries of wire rope layed bare.