silage stuffers

/ silage stuffers #1  

rockinmywaypa

Platinum Member
under the elephant\'s tail [ ontario can.]
Tractor
john deere 3130, universal case 970 and a IH 1086
I have an idea for something I'd like to build but thought I'd run it past you knowledgable people before I spend any money. You have seen ag baggers and silo-presses that pack silage into a plastic tube, they all use a rotor that does the packing. I am wondering after looking at a garbage packer at work if I could use a hydraulic cylinder to do the packing and build my own press cheaper than buying which for my size of operation would be out of the question anyway. My machine would have the large hoop to hold the plastic but would have a 3 ft high by 4 ft wide by 4-5 ft long stroke to push the feed into the tube. All I would need is one cylinder and one hydraulic motor to run a conveyor for filling a hopper. Is there a glaring reason why the main companies avoid this concept that I am missing. I would also have some kind of braking system to hold it back and fill the bag tighter. I think if this worked well I'd have some real good feed on a low budget.

/ silage stuffers #2  
Wish you well, but I would suspect that the early stages of stuffing silage involved trials and errors doing exactly what you are thinking. Garbage packers have been around a long time, and only natural to think of that concept to stuff silage.
Hope you pursue it and get it to work. Have you searched the idea in the patent arena to see if there are any patents (not that you will violate any, but just to see what has been done) ?

/ silage stuffers #3  
I have never seen one work,

but it would seem like if one used a plunger like system, (in slow motion like a bailer) it would work, even possibly a twin system that worked opposite, when one was in the other out getting a new fill of materials to press in to the chamber, my guess is it would be very slow tho,

/ silage stuffers #4  
2 things that an auger will do that yours will not: 1. Distribute the silage evenly. I don't think yours will fill the top of the bag right.
2: Work continuously. Probably not a problem with a small scale.

/ silage stuffers #5  
In thinking about it more, the rotary method keeps an even packing top, bottom, and sides whereas the baler approach with ram one would not be able to have that even distribution of materials. Most would fall to the bottom, and little to none would get packed into the top part of the sausage. just sayin....

Hay is different in that it stands on its own much better.

/ silage stuffers #6  
Could you blow it into the bag? Same way a silo is filled, except you are doing it horizontal.
The machine that blows loose insulation from the truck up to the 2nd/3rd floor might work. (I believe you can rent them for some seat of the pants experimentation)
Of course green chop is a bit heavier than fiberglass or shredded newspaper!

/ silage stuffers #7  
You would have to stop unloading the wagon evertytime you would cycle the plunger.
So there would be a lot of time where the wagon would not be unloading.

Also, if you didn't stop the wagon unloading and silage got on the back side of the plunger you would have to clean that out some how.

A good 6" bore 3' stroke cylinder is going to run a $1000.

I think you would be better off putting that $1000 towards a good used machine.

TK

/ silage stuffers #8  
the compactor dumpsters have a steel cover on top of the plunger that lets you dump ontop of the plunger between cycles. It lets rubbish fall down in front for the next cycle. One time When we were buying dumpsters for work we started buying compactor dumpsters for conversin to open tops. We met a guy that had some that he used for making silage. He used his tractors hydraulics that ran the plunger. He just kept the silage i nthe can till needed then would open the door and back it into his cattle stall.

/ silage stuffers
taylortractornut
I'm glad to hear about at least one guy is using the concept. I am going to go ahead building it after I spend this year checking out auctions and sales in order to get a cheap conveyor which will convey material up into a hopper above plunger. then like you have pointed out the material can build up until the cylinder cycles back and the buildup will drop into the space in front of the plunger. With a cylinder that has a large shaft the return stroke should be quicker than the push stroke. My thinking is that by stuffing a bag instead of putting up a pile is that as soon as the last load of the day is done then the job is done, no pushing up, no packing on top of pile and no covering or tires holding it down, and hopefully better feed.

/ silage stuffers #10  
It seamed to work good whern one as filled he had an old roll off truck he would pick it up and take it away to store. I think he had 10 or so lined up. He made the hopper that was over the plunger wider at the bottom to stop it from bridging.