Ripper, subsoiler

/ Ripper, subsoiler #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
Whats the thickness of steal plate used for a subsoiler shank? I thought of making one. It would be for a 28 hp, 2500/3000# tractor.

/ Ripper, subsoiler #2  
I just built a potato hoe/subsolier for my Kubota B7100. I welded up the shank using 2" x 1/4" sq. tubing. For the blade part I used 1/4" plate, 10" x 10" shaped like a triangle. I hang (2) suitcase weights on it & it will dig so the drawbar is resting on the ground. It's all my tractor will handle. Might order the proper blade from Agri Supply, they are fairly cheap.

/ Ripper, subsoiler
The square tubing takes the strain well? I was thinking it would be something like a 7/8 inch or an inch plate. If it works on yours I can probably do something similar. If its for potatoes I'm guessing the ground has been regularly worked? Hows the weather in new brunswick these days.

/ Ripper, subsoiler #5  
Here is a set of plans for a subsoiler from Lincoln Electric's web site. It has three rippers but the plans can be modified.

Sub-Soil Ripper

/ Ripper, subsoiler #6  
I used 1"x 4" steel and it has held up well

/ Ripper, subsoiler
Thanks for the replies. I will get a chance to pic up the steel next week. I'm not sure as to make it one fixed shank, or a few adjustable. Thanks again for the responses.

/ Ripper, subsoiler #8  
1 inch thick is common. Be sure to V the leading edge. If designed properly the beam can be reversed after it is wore in the front. The Fred Cain Subsoiler is designed like that. Ken Sweet