Tractor
    kubota 60 hp

Default Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY.

HI everybody
    I'm keen to build my own set of skid steer pallet forks. Having trawled through the forum and scrutinised countless pics from the internet, I think I'm almost ready to make a start.
    A few things I'm still not quite sure about though...hoping some of you out there may be able to help me.
    I want to make them adjustable and am thinking the set up with a rod/ bar /pipe that holds the tynes in place is the way to go. The exploded diagram below, though not skid steer has the bar shown no.2. I cannot find any reference that explains how strong this part needs to be. Is it a solid bar or can one use heavy walled tube? What size do I need to use?
    I will also need to build my own tynes ......perhaps somebody could advise me on what material to use.
    The middle picture is one I found on the forum.....unfortunately I cannot make contact with the builder. A pity as the setup looks very good.
    My tractor is a kubota 60 hp.
    Cheers Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -forks6-jpg   -dscn8515-jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Default Re: Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY.

I copied the design from an Ingersoll Rand forklift. I used box tube for the forks.

Tractor
    kubota 60 hp

HI there Shield Arc
    Your build looks just the thing.
    What size was that box tube?
    Was the slide a solid bar? What size is it?
    Cheers Nick

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

These quick attach forks were made from 1"x1.5" for the uprights, frame 3"x3" x1/4" angle iron. Tynes 2"x2"x1/4" Capped with 2"x3"x3/16" "C" channel.

The can be used at any width, shown bolted in place, for travel over rough ground & compacting loads on clean up jobs.

When slid to the center the tynes lift off. Very heavy about all one man can lift. Thought about making a tube or bar set up, but like the easy lift off ability.

They have been used & abused for about 4 years. My TC45 is rated at 1750. The forks have been loaded well past that and held up. Also used them for digging out large rocks, & other abuse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -forks-1e-jpg   -forks-2e-jpg  
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

The bar on my CA compact forks is a solid bar. And I am not sure but I doubt it is just a mild steel bar, I am thinking it is some kind of alloy steel for more strength.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Nick I used 2-inch x 4-inch x 1/4-inch wall rectangular tubing. With 1 1/2-inch cold rolled shaft.
    If I were you, being as your tractor looks to be about twice the size of mine. I'd look into using 2-inch x 6-inch x 3/8-inch wall rectangular tubing. And 2-inch cold rolled shaft, with maybe the exact same design as the Ingersoll Rand forklift so you won't have too big of a span! I move my SA-200 welding machines around all the time, they weight 1,350-pounds wet. I can only get them about 12-inches off the ground, I would guess your tractor could pick close to 4,000?
    I have pipe inserted in the ends of each fork for shackles to go in, I can stall the loader picking with these holes. These forks are about 10-years old now.
    In your case I would think about inserting flatbar on edge inside the rectangular tubing before making the full penetration weld at the heel of the forks.