Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY.

/ Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #1  

tassiefubar

Tractor
kubota 60 hp
HI everybody
I'm keen to build my own set of skid steer pallet forks. Having trawled through the forum and scrutinised countless pics from the internet, I think I'm almost ready to make a start.
A few things I'm still not quite sure about though...hoping some of you out there may be able to help me.
I want to make them adjustable and am thinking the set up with a rod/ bar /pipe that holds the tynes in place is the way to go. The exploded diagram below, though not skid steer has the bar shown no.2. I cannot find any reference that explains how strong this part needs to be. Is it a solid bar or can one use heavy walled tube? What size do I need to use?
I will also need to build my own tynes ......perhaps somebody could advise me on what material to use.
The middle picture is one I found on the forum.....unfortunately I cannot make contact with the builder. A pity as the setup looks very good.
My tractor is a Kubota 60 hp.
Cheers Nick

Attachments

• rod%20style%20pallet%20forks.gif
    rod%20style%20pallet%20forks.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,542
  • forks6.jpg
    forks6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,658
  • DSCN8515.JPG
    DSCN8515.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 1,005
   / Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #2  
I copied the design from an Ingersoll Rand forklift. I used box tube for the forks.

/ Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY.
HI there Shield Arc
Your build looks just the thing.
What size was that box tube?
Was the slide a solid bar? What size is it?
Cheers Nick

/ Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #4  
These quick attach forks were made from 1"x1.5" for the uprights, frame 3"x3" x1/4" angle iron. Tynes 2"x2"x1/4" Capped with 2"x3"x3/16" "C" channel.

The can be used at any width, shown bolted in place, for travel over rough ground & compacting loads on clean up jobs.

When slid to the center the tynes lift off. Very heavy about all one man can lift. Thought about making a tube or bar set up, but like the easy lift off ability.

They have been used & abused for about 4 years. My TC45 is rated at 1750. The forks have been loaded well past that and held up. Also used them for digging out large rocks, & other abuse. :laughing::thumbsup:

Attachments

• forks 1e.jpg
    forks 1e.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 2,480
  • forks 2e.jpg
    forks 2e.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,978
   / Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #5  
The bar on my CA compact forks is a solid bar. And I am not sure but I doubt it is just a mild steel bar, I am thinking it is some kind of alloy steel for more strength.

James K0UA

/ Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #6  
Nick I used 2-inch x 4-inch x 1/4-inch wall rectangular tubing. With 1 1/2-inch cold rolled shaft.
If I were you, being as your tractor looks to be about twice the size of mine. I'd look into using 2-inch x 6-inch x 3/8-inch wall rectangular tubing. And 2-inch cold rolled shaft, with maybe the exact same design as the Ingersoll Rand forklift so you won't have too big of a span! I move my SA-200 welding machines around all the time, they weight 1,350-pounds wet. I can only get them about 12-inches off the ground, I would guess your tractor could pick close to 4,000?
I have pipe inserted in the ends of each fork for shackles to go in, I can stall the loader picking with these holes. These forks are about 10-years old now.
In your case I would think about inserting flatbar on edge inside the rectangular tubing before making the full penetration weld at the heel of the forks.

/ Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #7  
Bought a set of 42" tines for $24 at an auction this morning.Just sayin'

/ Pallet forks. Skid steer DIY. #8  
I got lucky and found some pin top forks on eBay:

ff.JPG
P6240005.JPG