Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD X485 AWS,B2410,RTV900

Default Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box

I mow over 6 acres on property that has trees everywhere. I'm always picking up tree limbs or debris thrown by the general public and need a container that I can toss these items into until I return to the shop area. Other than purchasing a steel ballast box, has anyone built a utility box that would attach to a 3-pt and have a drop down side? Would a wood box hold together using the 3-pt?

Silver Member

Default Re: Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box

Try a CarryAll and customise it to your needs. There are several post that have delt with them and best of all you can get them cheap.

LGinIA... Here is a picture of one that I built. I bought the frame from TSC for $74. I made the bottom and back out of 2X6s and a 2X10. Sides and front are white pine slats on regular 2X4 posts. The 2X4s are held in place by stake pockets purchased at TSC.

It took one afternoon to build.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac 4500

This is the utility box I made. It slips over the pallet forks attached on the 3 point hitch and also fits the pallet forks on my loader. Sides, front, and rear are removable. Couldn't get along without it. I only remove it when mowing.
    JackIL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD X485 AWS,B2410,RTV900

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into building a smaller version that I can carry on my 3-point while mowing. As usual, the TBN members have great functional ideas. I appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Jack,

I like your utility box also. Any more picture's or descriptions?

Tractor
    Allis Chalmber 5015

Thats a great piece of rig you got there.... That gave me Ideas....Thanks!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]