Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box

/ Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box #1  

LGinIA

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X485 AWS,B2410,RTV900
I mow over 6 acres on property that has trees everywhere. I'm always picking up tree limbs or debris thrown by the general public and need a container that I can toss these items into until I return to the shop area. Other than purchasing a steel ballast box, has anyone built a utility box that would attach to a 3-pt and have a drop down side? Would a wood box hold together using the 3-pt?

/ Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box #2  
Try a CarryAll and customise it to your needs. There are several post that have delt with them and best of all you can get them cheap.

/ Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box #3  
LGinIA... Here is a picture of one that I built. I bought the frame from TSC for $74. I made the bottom and back out of 2X6s and a 2X10. Sides and front are white pine slats on regular 2X4 posts. The 2X4s are held in place by stake pockets purchased at TSC.

It took one afternoon to build.

John

Attachments

• 234199-Carry all.jpg
    234199-Carry all.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 969
   / Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box #4  
This is the utility box I made. It slips over the pallet forks attached on the 3 point hitch and also fits the pallet forks on my loader. Sides, front, and rear are removable. Couldn't get along without it. I only remove it when mowing.
JackIL

Attachments

• 234223-UtilBoxSM.jpg
    234223-UtilBoxSM.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 920
   / Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into building a smaller version that I can carry on my 3-point while mowing. As usual, the TBN members have great functional ideas. I appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

/ Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box #6  
Jack,

I like your utility box also. Any more picture's or descriptions?

/ Utility Storage Box replacing Ballast Box #7  
Thats a great piece of rig you got there.... That gave me Ideas....Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif