Converting a small engine into air compressor

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #21  
strangly i just remembered my zetor tractor has a air compressor on it
its like the endless air systems on doesnt need lubrication in the gas

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #22  
One of the most common mobile air compressors used to be the old volkswagon beetle engine. the front 2 cylinders were left as normal car engine configeration.
The rear 2 cylinders had the exhaust valve pushrods and rockers removed.....and non return valves fitted into the spark plug holes.
neat compact unit...electric start.no pulleys or gears required.
No pressure switches etc the air tank only fitted with twin safety blow off valves. produced enough air to run full sized jack hammers etc..............but may be to big for what you want.

It made a lot of air and burned a lot of fuel. It was called a Volks-Air and the railroads used them for a time for airing up a consist before putting power on.

A much smaller model with liquid cooling, running on natural gas would be really excellent for garages and smaller facilities. I once asked an engineer for Ingersoll Rand why they did not do this. He said the cost of EPA compliance certification was such that it was cheaper to buy a factory small engine and hook it to a compressor via a belt.

I think Wisconsin sold their V4 as half engine half compressor at one time but it was about the same as the VW conversion in terms of power and more expensive.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #23  
Volvo made an AC compressor that had an oil reservoir like a lawnmower engine, search the off road / jeep sites...Runs off the truck engine and has a clutch. Makes good volume and pressure, no oil in the lines

That's a York. It's used on everything from trucks to old Fords to Ferraris. Works great when modified.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #24  
vpd66;243071 you'd get much better performance and volume from a small car engine (4cylinder). After all said:
I have thought about using this set up but intended using a 6 cylinder engine. I also had ideas of drilling & tapping the plate for a water outlet
and utilizing the radiater water pump/fan etc to keep the unit cool.
Would drive it from a tractor pto.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #25  
We bought an old tire company service truck that had an old willy's four cylinder engine that was converted to a compressor,can't remember brand , but it was a factory converted compressor,and worked great.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #26  
I have thought about using this set up but intended using a 6 cylinder engine. I also had ideas of drilling & tapping the plate for a water outlet
and utilizing the radiater water pump/fan etc to keep the unit cool.
Would drive it from a tractor pto.

You would need some sort of check valves on your manifolds. Otherwise you wouldn't build any pressure.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #27  
You would need some sort of check valves on your manifolds. .

Havn't made any inquiries as where to purchase these, but am sure they would be available somewhere. Would also need a dump valve.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #28  
I made a decent compressor using an air brake compressor from a big rig and a 60 lb propane tank.
I adapted a water pump pressure control for cut in/out and placed a check valve at the tank entry.
Since I did not have an unloader valve setup I drilled the very smallest pin hole in the line between the check valve and compressor so that the compressor could start up unloaded.
The truck compressor had 2 pistons about 2" X 2" stroke and was ball bearing mounted. I simply made a base from 1/4" plate and added a device to create splash lubrication.
That rig was able to provide enough air for all my air tools including a pot type sand blaster.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #29  
When I worked as a builder's helper back in the 80's we revived an old compressor (circa 1930's) that consisted of two, Ford model "A", "L-head" four cylinder engines bolted together, one for power the other for air. I wish I remember how it was made. Definitely factory converted with a new cast head probably used reed valves? That thing ran a jackhammer without a wimper all day long (by the end of the day I was wimpering).
If you have the need for 58 cfm@ 100 psi, these links may help?
Home
Volks-Aire Air Compressor Kit, Fits Upright VW Engines, Standard Model, DR3S - Aircooled.Net VW Parts

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #30  
Have seen two SV Ford V8s and SV 6s set up in a similar way, unfortunatly didn't take much notice at the time.