Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #31  
I'm assuming this car carrier has two axles. Depending on spring travel and clearances, with the shaft height just below the deck, a reinforced motor mount cradle could possibly be formed into the frame between the axles, and the third member's carrier and axle housings could be made into a very strong stressed member of the opposite frame rail. (Afterthought, if not rubber mounted, any of your power and drive components will telegraph noise into your frame and deck -- probably a perfect soundboard.)

I'm picturing the engine side as the street side, putting the engine noise, radiator grill, and exhausts away from the sidewalk. The sound proofed engine box could be under a work bench, making that space still highly usable.

Top gear in non-overdrive transmissions is 1:1. Third members are reduction gears (4.11:1 etc. for example) Consider that max torque RPM won't be needed for many of your operations, and the fuel needed to maintain your desired RPM could mean pouring gas down the drain, so to speak.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #32  
Air powered tools- from nail guns and impact wrenches to jack hammers- are readily available. And diesel powered air compressors are found at every highway construction site today. just add the pickup truck full of tools- and lots of hose!

Of course, your "contraption" sounds like a lot more fun to build, -and a lot more fun for us, when you post the pictures!

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO
I should let everyone know it will be a while before I can get started on this contraption. I am in Iraq and won't be home until late September sometime and have a lot of catching up to do with family. For now, I hope to use my spare time wisely and design something that will be fun to build. I am am in the Army Reserves and my regular job is with a company many of you are familiar with, Airgas.
I hope to have a concept sketch ready in the near future. Short game, the more I think about the third member it sounds better. 3.73:1 is a common ratio in those, if I had the tanny in 3rd gear (1:1) it would give me a final output of 540 RPM at an engine speed of 2000 RPM. Iplayfarmer, I never knew what an unloader valve was before today. If I'm understanding correctly it releases the pressure from the tank just before the compresser turns on to make startup smoother. I definately see a use for it here. Day, you cant weld with an air compresser, or maybe it could work if.....:confused2:

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #34  
"Day, you cant weld with an air compresser, or maybe it could work if.....:confused2:"

Ya got me there!

Although, a plasma torch is basically super heated (25k-45k degrees) air, with a little electricity thrown in:thumbsup: And windmills generate electricity, so an air driven mini turbine could turn a generator. Here is where the ghost of Mr. Goldberg needs to sign in:laughing:

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #35  
...I never knew what an unloader valve was before today. If I'm understanding correctly it releases the pressure from the tank just before the compresser turns on to make startup smoother. I definately see a use for it here...

I probably have my terminology wrong. I'm thinking of the valve that trips when a compressor reaches the set point. The valve routes the air to the atmosphere rather than the tank until the tank pressure drops below the low pressure set point again.

Someone bail me out here and tell us what this kind of valve is called.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #36  
I probably have my terminology wrong. I'm thinking of the valve that trips when a compressor reaches the set point. The valve routes the air to the atmosphere rather than the tank until the tank pressure drops below the low pressure set point again.

Someone bail me out here and tell us what this kind of valve is called.

I think you have it right.

Here's an article on how air compressors work, & it includes the line "The pressure switch may also incorporate an unloader valve that reduces tank pressure when the compressor is turned off."

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #37  
... tell us what this kind of valve is called.

I just dealt with the unloader valve on a compressor of my own. It releases the pressure between the piston and a check valve near the tank at high pressure shutoff, so the compressor motor doesn't have to start up by pushing the piston against the remaining pressure in the tank.

Last edited:
   / Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #38  
I would HIGHLY recomend you use electric induction motors for powering the machines insted of a shaft and belts. There is a reason that system is never used anymore. If I was doing this, I would have the engine drive an old belt drive generator. If you found a 3 phase generator, you could make use of 3 phase machines which are normaly worth much less used then single phase machines.

Although if you really want to do it this way it will work, but here is some advice. If you can, use overhead belts, this is the most common setup of old shops, because they do not waist any space, and in a trailer you cant afford to. Also, try to find old flat belt drive machines, they are designed to work this way, and you might be able to find them fairly cheep, with enough serching. Last, I would not have a water tank for the pressure washer, it will take up way too much space, and get in the way. If you need to use a pressure washer, go somewhere with a tap.

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO #39  
Frankly, I think the idea is crazy, And will only be (GOOD), for a conversation piece, a parade piece, Maybe, A I bet I can stunt,. or somthing osha, would use as a dont do it like this, POSTER, lololol.... And trust me, I dont care what osha thinks, Doing what you are thinking,..Instead of using a generator, is a one or two things, depending on your mentality, either,..stupid, or funny,.. Iam going with both, This is good john material, Iam lookin forward to more Rube Goldberg idols to help further your idea, a nice break from reality:) Eric

/ Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO
Attached (I hope) is a sketch of what I have in mind. I dont think its quite as complicated or dangerous as some of you inagined. The red dotted line is the shaft which is below the deck, belts would pass through holes cut in the floor. For power you can see the inline 6 engine, transmission, and shortened differential (output calculated to be 540 RPM at 2000 engine RPM). Weight looks to be fairly evenly distributed. I dont plan to stand on the trailer or use any part of it as workspace (for safety). I didnt label it but the green thing on the front of the engine is the air compressor.

Attachments

• sketch.pdf
    62.4 KB · Views: 176