Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Tractor
    Buying an 8N

Default Re: Trailer with small diesel driving multiple things and a PTO

I need some advice. I need to control engine speed somehow, I found an 8N governor. Pasted below is the link, this particular one may have problems..assume I use one in good working condition. Could I adapt this to work somehow or is there a better option? Though this thread title mentions diesel power, I will be using the inline 6 cylinder gas engine.

Questions I cant find the answers for online.
    1. Will this thing do what I need it to?
    2. How is the gear attached, pressed on?
    3. What gear does this mesh with on the engine, crank, cam, timing?
    4. How many are teeth on the governor and other unknown gear?
    5. Estimated travel of rod that goes to the carburetor?

If any of you know a better way please point me in the right direction.

8N Ford Tractor Governor Used w tactometer connection | eBay

Elite Member
    Tractor
    LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300

What about an aftermarket cruise control as a governor?

You could set it up the run your desired shaft RPM in different gears for different torque load needs, or at another RPM, should the need arise.
    Last edited by Short Game; 07-14-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by Short Game View Post
    What about an aftermarket cruise control as a governor?

You could set it up the run your desired shaft RPM in different gears for different torque load needs, or at another RPM, should the need arise.
    I like that idea. The governer then would be tied more closely with the actual need (shaft speed).
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

I vote for a diesel powered generator and electric machinery. The line shaft has been around for ever but not sure that's the best route in this day and age. The electric generator offers you plenty of flexibility and endless configurations.

Now if you are doing this for a conversation piece well...

Tractor
    Buying an 8N

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    I like that idea. The governer then would be tied more closely with the actual need (shaft speed).

Excellent idea! So simple but perfect for this use. I will do some research on what speed drop is required before accelerating

Tractor
    Buying an 8N

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPerk View Post
    I vote for a diesel powered generator and electric machinery. The line shaft has been around for ever but not sure that's the best route in this day and age. The electric generator offers you plenty of flexibility and endless configurations.

Now if you are doing this for a conversation piece well...
    I am due an upgrade anyway of these things Im planning to install. If I just bought what I needed without building this ...the welder/generator and pressure washer would be gas powered. The hydraulic pump is something new to me and would need to be gas powered. The air compressor would be electric.
    I havent done the math but the prices for those items (each with its own engine or motor and wheels, frame etc) would likely exceed the build price for what I have in mind. I would only have to maintain one engine, which was in production for decades so parts are readily availible. I can have a large tank for my pressure washer and not have to be tied to a garden hose. And it would make a good conversatin piece

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

I used to run a step van for my construction business but I eventually realized that 9 times out of 10 I only needed one or two of the hundred tools on any given day.. sounds like a fun project tho..
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Elite Member
    Tractor
    LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300

The Batman utility belt will only go so far. Sometimes you gotta bring the whole durned cave.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM1500, Yanmar FX26D/Koyker FEL

Thank you for your service for us. On the governor you need to look at old construction equipment, a lot of them used Chevy, Ford, or I-H engines. Some of the old trucks used in city delivery had air brakes and had compressors mounted on the engine. I have seen guys use old A/C compressor mounts to mount an air compressor and used an electric clutch to turn it on. On the hydraulic pump there are engine belt driven units, Dewee is one that I remember but there are others. I have thought of doing some thing along the same line. Be safe as you can.

del10820

Tractor
    1946 cockshutt 60

Wait, wouldnt the truck engine have had a governer?
    Never carry gasoline in your car trunk. If you do, atleast use some sort of container.
    -red green

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast