Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket?

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
I was gonna buy a new bucket for my home backhoe. But then got to thinking of a new idea.

I have an old loader bucket that was given to me in some scrap metal. I was gonna use it for the loader I was gonna make. But there's a few rusted through spots in the middle. The rest of it's okay.

So I was thinking of marking a straight line and use my dads old circular saw with an abrasive wheel and cut it down to shorten it to make a bucket for my backhoe.

Once shortened down. I'd weld it back together and have a recycled bucket. Total cost would be around $5.00 -$6.00.

A new buckets almost $300.00 3 Tooth Trencher Bucket

That's the bucket I was gonna buy until I remembered the loader bucket.

When I start I'll take some pictures of the progress.

Chad

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #2  
I
That's the bucket I was gonna buy until I remembered the loader bucket.

When I start I'll take some pictures of the progress.

Chad
How about some photos before you start.

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #3  
Good idea and the price is right.

Can you get 2 new backhoe buckets from the 1 loader bucket?
Maybe a smaller one will come in handy.

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #4  
Might work. My concern would be the shape of the heal (back) of the bucket. If it is pretty squared off, it might not make an efficient ditching bucket. No doubt it would make an excellent grading bucket though. Post some pix so we can have a look. P.S. be careful on how hot that cutting wheel gets the bucket. It could warp it and you'll have fun welding it back together and having a straight bucket when your done.

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket?
Can you get 2 new backhoe buckets from the 1 loader bucket?
Maybe a smaller one will come in handy.

I'm not sure. But I probably could. I'll have to measure it and see what I can get out of it. I think the buckets around 3 foot long could be a little over. "Could even be under 3 foot."

Might work. My concern would be the shape of the heal (back) of the bucket. If it is pretty squared off,
it might not make an efficient ditching bucket. No doubt it would make an excellent grading bucket though.

Post some pix so we can have a look. P.S. be careful on how hot that cutting wheel gets the bucket.

It could warp it and you'll have fun welding it back together and having a straight bucket when your done.

I think the buckets got a slight curve to it. The shapes I think almost like the one in this link. http://www.7zu.info/wp-content/plugins/wpshapeshiftr/images/tractor-loader-bucket.jpeg

I'll have to go out and look at it and take a picture of it after while. I guess if it doesn't work as a digging bucket. Like you said it would make an excellent grading bucket.

And I'll keep that in mind about the heat from the cutting wheel.

Chad

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #6  
It will be alot of work but could be done, gonna be slow with a circular saw though.

I cut a bucket down with a demo saw, much easier.

JB

Attachments

• DSCN6013.JPG
    DSCN6013.JPG
    997.5 KB · Views: 627
   / Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #7  
A Skilsaw would be very slow, I would probably use the torch, and find a way to fix the warping. (big rosebud.... sledge hammer.....)

I lost my camera card otherwise I would of took a pic of the bucket today. I measured it though and it's 2 feet long.

My dad has one of those demo saws and I may see if I can get the thing running. As it seems like it would make the cutting a lot easier.

Before cutting it down I may tack weld some ears on it so I can attach it to my backhoe and see how I think it will perform as a digging bucket scooping up some loose dirt.

If it doesn't work out like I'd hoped. I could always leave the ears on and keep it as a wide clean up bucket.

Chad

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #9  
I lost my camera card otherwise I would of took a pic of the bucket today. I measured it though and it's 2 feet long.

My dad has one of those demo saws and I may see if I can get the thing running. As it seems like it would make the cutting a lot easier.

Before cutting it down I may tack weld some ears on it so I can attach it to my backhoe and see how I think it will perform as a digging bucket scooping up some loose dirt.

If it doesn't work out like I'd hoped. I could always leave the ears on and keep it as a wide clean up bucket.

Chad
Have you checked the reader slot for the card?;):D That's where I would leave mine and then forget where it was.:laughing:

Two feet... that's probably a little on the huge side for your hoe. With anything in it your outriggers would certainly be earning their keep!:laughing::laughing: Good plan though:thumbsup:. You should be able to get a good sense of bucket size to machine capability that way. Good luck!:thumbsup::licking::)

Have you checked the reader slot for the card?;):D That's where I would leave mine and then forget where it was.:laughing:
That's exactly where it was. I found it but now it gives me a card error.

Two feet... that's probably a little on the huge side for your hoe. With anything in it your outriggers would certainly be earning their keep!:laughing::laughing: Good plan though:thumbsup:. You should be able to get a good sense of bucket size to machine capability that way. Good luck!:thumbsup::licking::)

I posted the wrong length of the bucket. It's past 2 feet it's more like 32 inches so a bit bigger than 2 feet.

And that rusted through spot was actually patched up. I didn't really notice it because the bucket had a bunch of rust covering the top of the patch.

Anyway I think it's gonna make a nice backhoe bucket though. And if I figured right. I can use the rest of the steel to fix my stick mount with.

It's a thicker steel and the loader buckets a factory made loader. I forgot to mention that the loader arms were still attached to it. So I may be able to utilize the already made loader arms on my loader. "But just shorten the width of them down a bit".

I would have kept the bucket for the loader but also noticed a bend at the bottom in the middle.

So decided to salvage it for a new bucket for the backhoe.

Chad

Edit: It's so hot out there I had left a red crayon on the ground to mark the line for the saw to follow. And when I went back out there and picked the crayon up it actually was so hot the wax burned my hand a bit.

Last edited: