cable across driveway-

/ cable across driveway- #11  
one possible option would be to have two cables/chains crossing the road and then tie the two cables together at three or four points (think multiple horizontal "H"s). this way there would be no lifting the top cable/chain to get by.

to prevent liability or at least reduce it drastically, put up signs 50' and 100' from the gate stating "cable across road". then hang reflectors and reflecting tape all over the cables as well as a huge stop sign. in most areas, this would be enough warning to generally prevent liability.

another option, if you don't want to install a full blown gate, would be a single heavy pipe type gate about 3' high. same idea w/ reflectors, etc.

/ cable across driveway-
Thanks for all the tips/help.
Maybe best to just get the gate and try that.

/ cable across driveway- #14  
I would forgoe the gate and chain all together, spike mats and nobody gets hurt, they are still there when the cops get there.

/ cable across driveway- #16  
Actually, the gate is not really there to keep people out. It is there to protect you from the liability of people hurting themselves or others while they trespass. Thats what no trespassing signs are for too. I have three roads into my 40 acre tree farm. I am not particularly concerned about folks being there doing something productive (berry picking, hunting, running their ATVs) than I am of people dumping (garbage dumps don't seem that expensive, to me anyway, after I pick up the trash and haul it off for proper disposal).

I put up three "gates." Two were ecoblocks (those big cement things that look like legos) with cable strung across them. Local lore is that you hang a PVC pipe in the middle so that someone running into them can't claim damages because they couldn't be seen. The third was made from four inch PVC sunk about a foot and a half in the ground with a 8 foot heavy duty t-post driven down through the pipe, eyebolts wired to that at the top for chain and then filled with cement. The eco blocks were about three times the cost of the posts. My experience to date (four months running) has been: no dumping, one guy I have given permission to pick blackberies, one cable (the shiney new one including the lock) stolen presumably for the metal from one of the eco block gates, and no one through the PVC/t-post gate. The cable on the latter remains in place probably because I fed it down the pipe to ground level and imbedded it in concrete.

So, I suspect if you put out a really nice metal gate it will get stolen for the price of scrap or resale. Rusty is better. I replaced my stolen cable with a bunch of semi rotten logs and rootballs - that has really worked well. When I want through, I just push them out of the way with my FEL and replace them when I leave.

Mf

/ cable across driveway- #17  
If you hang a cable and someone gets decapitated, you could get sued out of your pants. Put up a gate, no trespassing signs, reflectors and a game camera if you still have problems.

/ cable across driveway- #18  
there are cables and 1 pipe gates all over here.hang a no trespassing sign on it.

/ cable across driveway- #19  
Hi,
I'm building a driveway (the driveway goes through dense trees/brush-- so no entry other than driveway) and want to put up some type of effective chain/cable/gate-- there have been ATV's on the property--and I don't want anyone on the property without my permission--I still believe in private property. (guess I'm pretty old fashioned in that regard!).
I was thinking about just posts with a cable across the 17 foot driveway, but it occurred to me that while this would keep out trucks etc, it might be possible just to lift up the cable/chain in the middle and drive an ATV under it.
Would appreciate other ideas-- i know a full gate would work-- but is there something less expensive that some of you guys have tried?
Thanks,
Bob

Do you want a mental barrier or a true physical barrier?

I have both, both work, the big paper company style gates work best......but I've also used old aluminum cable with t-posts and plenty of posted signs with good success.

/ cable across driveway- #20  
Here are pictures of 2 gates that I built and hung on my place. The silver gate is way to heavy to lift off, main frame is 2" pipe. Yellow gate can not be lifted off and is also very heavy, again all made out water pipe. Lock and latch are attached. Lock could be cut, but in 4 years no one has tried. Some drunk or idiot did run into the back side of the yellow gate and deformed it about 10". Am sure it hurt his car / truck more than the gate.:laughing:

More details and close up pictures if you are interested.

Attachments

• North Gate 0.jpg
    North Gate 0.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 903
  • North Gate back.jpg
    North Gate back.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 829
  • yellow gate 2.jpg
    yellow gate 2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,781
  • yellow gate back1.jpg
    yellow gate back1.jpg