air reel hose hook up?

/ air reel hose hook up? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I'm interested in buying a "ReelCraft" air hose reel for my compressor from NorthTool, but want to understand how it hooks to the compressor. How do you connect the reel hose to the compressor? the reel does not seem to come with a lead hose. do i need a lead hose? I see NT has some 3-6 foot "Whip Hoses" which would be a perfect length, but they only come in 3/8 and I'm seeking to get the reel with a 50ft and in 1/2 hose and don't want to short change the air flow from the compressor to the reel. nobody over at NT seems to able to help...they keep telling me what i can read on the website.

/ air reel hose hook up? #2  
You do indeed need a minimum of 1/2" I.D. hose to feed the reel. An off-the-shelf 1/2" hydraulic hose with 1/2"NPT fittings on either end will work just fine.

/ air reel hose hook up?
thanks RickB, but I only need like 3 feet between the reel and compressor and the shortest 1/2 hose i can find is 25 feet. are there any 1/2 short hose out there...do people make there own short hose from a longer one?

/ air reel hose hook up?
oh!!! Hydraulic hose! okay I'll look for one

/ air reel hose hook up? #5  
If you have a bearing parts store near your place I would get 5/8 I.D. Hose with crimped fittings to hook to your reel

That's what I did cost about $100 with all fittings

/ air reel hose hook up? #6  
I purchase a 3 ' or so from my local Harbor Freight for $10 or so plus threaded bushing fittings from Home Cheapo. Pics to follow. The post caught me off guard, as I am adding a 1 GIG HD and reformatting.
regards,
Steve

/ air reel hose hook up? #7  
use a section of hydraulic hose if you want,

I have a flexible SS gas connector on the air compressor from the head to the check valve in the tank, and use a section of Hydraulic hose from the tank to the pipe system,

you could go down to a good auto parts and buy a section of rated hose, and put your own ends on it, with some hose clamps, tucks use air brakes and hose,

and I will second the Harbor fright air real I bought mine for about $35 and have used it nearly every day in the shop and have had it for many years excellent value, no air leaks and even the Chinese made hose has held up well,

/ air reel hose hook up? #8  
use a section of hydraulic hose if you want,

I have a flexible SS gas connector on the air compressor from the head to the check valve in the tank, and use a section of Hydraulic hose from the tank to the pipe system,

you could go down to a good auto parts and buy a section of rated hose, and put your own ends on it, with some hose clamps, tucks use air brakes and hose,

and I will second the Harbor fright air real I bought mine for about $35 and have used it nearly every day in the shop and have had it for many years excellent value, no air leaks and even the Chinese made hose has held up well,

I too have the HF version. I'd imagine it's pretty close to the Northern Tools one. I have a longer section of hose going to the reel as it's in the front of my garage and the compressor is in the back.

I know HF has some short sections of hose, but I don't recall if they are 1/2" or 3/8". I like the hydraulic hose idea. It will definately hold the pressure. www.suprluscenter.com has hydraulic hoses for about $10 (plus shipping). You'll save a grundle over having a shop custom build you a length. For that matter, you'd probably save money buying the 25 foot hose vs. having someone put custom ends on something.

/ air reel hose hook up? #9  
I bought one at HF. I mounted mine at the front of the garage so I can pull it outside when needed. My compressor is on a side wall in the middle of the garage. I installed a T fitting on my compressor. On one side of the T I plug in a hose with a quick connect fitting (also from HF) and ran the hose along the side of the garage to the reel mount where I used a 90 degree fitting and quick connect. On the other side of the T I have another quick fitting and a 50' hose that will reach anywhere in the back of the garage. My compressor also has a built in pressure reducing regulator and 2 more quick fittings for air pressure settings lower than full pressure. (I mainly only use those with my paint spray gun.)

/ air reel hose hook up? #10  
How far is the reel going to be from your air compressor? You could plumb it with copper or steel pipe. I used PEX piping in my garage after my regulator, it's rated for 180 psi. Hydraulic hose would work but I think it's overkill.