Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

Default air reel hose hook up?

I'm interested in buying a "ReelCraft" air hose reel for my compressor from NorthTool, but want to understand how it hooks to the compressor. How do you connect the reel hose to the compressor? the reel does not seem to come with a lead hose. do i need a lead hose? I see NT has some 3-6 foot "Whip Hoses" which would be a perfect length, but they only come in 3/8 and I'm seeking to get the reel with a 50ft and in 1/2 hose and don't want to short change the air flow from the compressor to the reel. nobody over at NT seems to able to help...they keep telling me what i can read on the website.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: air reel hose hook up?

You do indeed need a minimum of 1/2" I.D. hose to feed the reel. An off-the-shelf 1/2" hydraulic hose with 1/2"NPT fittings on either end will work just fine.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

thanks RickB, but I only need like 3 feet between the reel and compressor and the shortest 1/2 hose i can find is 25 feet. are there any 1/2 short hose out there...do people make there own short hose from a longer one?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JDs:

oh!!! Hydraulic hose! okay I'll look for one

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

If you have a bearing parts store near your place I would get 5/8 I.D. Hose with crimped fittings to hook to your reel

That's what I did cost about $100 with all fittings
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4320 & Kubota 7510

I purchase a 3 ' or so from my local Harbor Freight for $10 or so plus threaded bushing fittings from Home Cheapo. Pics to follow. The post caught me off guard, as I am adding a 1 GIG HD and reformatting.
    regards,
    Steve

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4020

use a section of hydraulic hose if you want,

I have a flexible SS gas connector on the air compressor from the head to the check valve in the tank, and use a section of Hydraulic hose from the tank to the pipe system,

you could go down to a good auto parts and buy a section of rated hose, and put your own ends on it, with some hose clamps, tucks use air brakes and hose,

and I will second the Harbor fright air real I bought mine for about $35 and have used it nearly every day in the shop and have had it for many years excellent value, no air leaks and even the Chinese made hose has held up well,

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by BHD View Post
    use a section of hydraulic hose if you want,

I have a flexible SS gas connector on the air compressor from the head to the check valve in the tank, and use a section of Hydraulic hose from the tank to the pipe system,

you could go down to a good auto parts and buy a section of rated hose, and put your own ends on it, with some hose clamps, tucks use air brakes and hose,

and I will second the Harbor fright air real I bought mine for about $35 and have used it nearly every day in the shop and have had it for many years excellent value, no air leaks and even the Chinese made hose has held up well,
    I too have the HF version. I'd imagine it's pretty close to the Northern Tools one. I have a longer section of hose going to the reel as it's in the front of my garage and the compressor is in the back.

I know HF has some short sections of hose, but I don't recall if they are 1/2" or 3/8". I like the hydraulic hose idea. It will definately hold the pressure. www.suprluscenter.com has hydraulic hoses for about $10 (plus shipping). You'll save a grundle over having a shop custom build you a length. For that matter, you'd probably save money buying the 25 foot hose vs. having someone put custom ends on something.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I bought one at HF. I mounted mine at the front of the garage so I can pull it outside when needed. My compressor is on a side wall in the middle of the garage. I installed a T fitting on my compressor. On one side of the T I plug in a hose with a quick connect fitting (also from HF) and ran the hose along the side of the garage to the reel mount where I used a 90 degree fitting and quick connect. On the other side of the T I have another quick fitting and a 50' hose that will reach anywhere in the back of the garage. My compressor also has a built in pressure reducing regulator and 2 more quick fittings for air pressure settings lower than full pressure. (I mainly only use those with my paint spray gun.)

How far is the reel going to be from your air compressor? You could plumb it with copper or steel pipe. I used PEX piping in my garage after my regulator, it's rated for 180 psi. Hydraulic hose would work but I think it's overkill.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast