Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
We have been clearing a drive and some trails on our property but we have run into a few types of trees that are almost impossible to roll out of the ground. I saw a tree spade attachment for the skid steer and it looks like a simple trowl shaped attachment. Wouldnt be hard to make but do they work?

Thinking something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STUMP-BUCKE...807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6582c7c7

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out #2  
It all depend on the size of skid steer you have. I have a stump bucket like that without the grapple and on my 75hp Case skid steer it works pretty well. I think if you had a small skid steer it wouldn't work has well. The type of soil makes a difference too. Also, you must be able to get all the way around the tree/stump to get it out. I've dug out 18" stumps that I've only been able to get at 3 sides and it was a project to get them out.

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out
mine is 80 hp, the one we had so much trouble out of we could only get to 2 sides.

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out #4  
Like I said the real key to digging out stumps (stump bucket or not) is to be able to get all the way around them. I would like to rent or barrow one of those small quick attact backhoes. The kind that is just basically a 5 to 6ft boom with a hydraulicly operated bucket on the end. I think I would be able to reach over the stump and dig out the side I can't get to. Might be handier then the stump bucket. Just a thought.

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out #5  
If I know I'm going to want the stump gone on a particular tree, before it is cut down, I get a ladder and hang a block well up the trunk and pull it over. If it's a pretty big tree, I'll dig around it some with my FEL. I have a 12,000 lb. winch on my box blade. If I can't pull it toward the winch, I'll hang blocks at the bottoms of trees in the direction I'm taking it down. I also will chain the tractor to a tree to keep it put. Stumps come out pretty easily when you can use the whole tree as leverage, especially when the ground is wet (and it usually is where I live).

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out
I have done that several times Short Game, dig out one side and push the other over. These particulartrees are really rooted in, not like the others. We have always called them Iron wood cause they are collored like the side of the old battleships and while easy as a pine to cut on the outside the deeper you get the harder they are.

We may go with just pushing them over as it is cheaper than the alternative. But the ones I took off about 2 foot up are really tough to get out.

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out #7  
Yeah, once I cut 'em off, I'm pretty much stuck with 'em. Wish I had a back hoe.

/ Need to build an attachment for rolling trees out #8  
Cut the stumps close to the ground, drill lots of holes in the top. Pour diesel fuel in the holes and cover for a couple of days. every few days repeat with the fuel and covering. In about a month, light her up. Will burn the stump out roots and all. Just be careful if you're close to other combustables.