Finished my man lift platform.

/ Finished my man lift platform. #1  

brewdog

Gold Member
Tractor
NH 3040
I was tired of standing on pallets to do elevated work. Earlier this year, I bought a grapple and when it was shipped to me it was inside a angle iron frame. The grapple weighed 600 lbs., and the frame didn't have any problem supporting the weight of it so I decided to make the angle Iron frame into a lift basket. My goal was to use my left over steel, wood, chain, and conduit to create it. The frame is 1/8" x 1-1/2" angle welded. I added reinforcing angle throughout and 1/8"x 4" toe board around entire base. The floor is made out of 2"x8" and 2"x6" boards. It's works fine for what I need it do around our place, like trimming tree branches, changing light bulbs, cleaning gutters, etc. This safety platform will be nice for loading storage boxes up on the loft. Hope you guys find this project interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 2,377
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    847.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    948.8 KB · Views: 1,949
   / Finished my man lift platform. #3  
Looks great, is there anything preventing it from sliding off the forks?

/ Finished my man lift platform. #4  
Very nice job but just wait for the safety police to start explaining about check valves on the cylinders etc.

/ Finished my man lift platform.
Looks great, is there anything preventing it from sliding off the forks?

Thanks POssom hound. It was a fun way to recycle a frame that would of other wise landed in the junk yard.

EGo_SmAsh,

Yes, I bought a 2 foot section of 5/16" chain that's welded on to the lift frame. It's hard to see in the photos, but the safety chain slips through a chain slot on the Fork Frame. One end of the chain is welded to the lift platform and the other end has a 5/8" Rod welded on the end of the chain to form a "T". That's so the chain can't slip totally out of the slot, the T will stop it from coming through the chain hole. Thanks for asking. I should of mentioned that in my description.

Massey990,

I hear you about the safety police and check valves. I've lived with a little risk all my life. We even went without wearing seat belts when I was a kid. Imagine that! Never had a cell phone till I was 40. We used to ride in the back of trucks too! My kids wonder why I don't carry my cell phone everywhere I go. We used to remember where we left off off with people when we didn't have cell phones. Going 2 weeks without talking to someone was normal. There wasn't a tenth of the drama there is today. How did the world survive without the safety police? Remember when you saw signs that said, "travel at your own risk." I have my boys running the controls when I'm up in the air. Hopefully they don't get a cell phone call when I'm up 10' in the air. Thanks for the great post.

Last edited:
   / Finished my man lift platform. #6  
Everything good except I did not see the safety labels. Did the new paint job cover them? One example would be: Not for use in California....

Everything good except I did not see the safety labels. Did the new paint job cover them? One example would be: Not for use in California....

Trailbuilder, Thats funny!! But you're right! The painter covered all safety stickers up. Thanks

/ Finished my man lift platform. #8  
Nice job! Only question is how do you reach the controls from the basket..:thumbsup:

/ Finished my man lift platform. #9  
Nice build, you should be able to find all types of uses for that. :)

Dragonof1,

I'm working on a remote controlled "Servo driven joy stick" that mounts in my basket. Just kidding. My neighbor used steel Rods to do just that on his open cab Ford 5000.

countrybumpkin,

The more I think about it the more uses I come up with. Thanks.