homemade wheel weights

/ homemade wheel weights #1  

Hog86r

Tractor
kubota l2800
i am the proud owner of a kubota L2800 HST with ag tires and FEL. some months ago i filled rear tires with water and it made a world of difference in traction. It occurred to me that a little more weight on the rear could reduce the need for engaging the front wheel assist and enable use of the FEL without a heavy implement on the rear.

Would an extra 150 pounds each on the rears be too much? the water added about 200 pounds each to the tires?

BTW, i swerved into an ingenious way to make wheel weights that are a perfect fit for the 24 inch wheels if anyone is interested.

thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

/ homemade wheel weights
good advice. thanks,

/ homemade wheel weights
i am an avid fan of this site. however, i seldom have anything to add.

/ homemade wheel weights #6  
BTW, i swerved into an ingenious way to make wheel weights that are a perfect fit for the 24 inch wheels if anyone is interested.

I would love to hear about it.

/ homemade wheel weights #7  
<snip> ... BTW, i swerved into an ingenious way to make wheel weights that are a perfect fit for the 24 inch wheels if anyone is interested.
thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

Let's see 'em!

i am an avid fan of this site. however, i seldom have anything to add.

Here's your chance.

/ homemade wheel weights
concerning the wheel weights:
someone will have to walk me through the process of posting photos, but i can give you a verbal description.
i bought a galvanized feed pan from tractor supply for $3.99 and melted some wheel weights (lead) and used the feed pan as a mold. poured the molten lead into the pan. it is the exact (almost) diameter as the inner part of the wheel. the wheel already has holes to facilitate mounting weights. so mounting should be no problem. my first casting i had to destroy the pan because the lead fused to the bottom. i have since learned a few tricks to prevent this from happening again. drilling the casting to access the wheel bolts and nuts is easily accomplished. just make certain to keep the drill bit lubricated or the lead will gall.
i await responses telling me it will not work. thanks,

/ homemade wheel weights #9  
Why would anyone post that it would not work? Weight is weight.

I don't like pure lead myself because it's just too darned soft, but with some tin added, or even better tin and antimony, it's OK. Pure lead is dangerous to drill unless one breaks the web of the drill a bit to cut down the angle, otherwise, the drill wants to eat it's way into the lead, and with a large pioece, things can get ugly in a hurry...

Frankly, I think most folks would be better served with cast iron, but as with all things .. To each his own.

/ homemade wheel weights
thanks for the information. i am guessing wheel weights like the kind the tire store puts on your car to balance the tires has the right alloy to make it rather hard. we used it for years for ballast on a race car. again, when we drill it just make sure to keep the bit lubed.

i dont have the facility to do cast iron.

thanks again,