Garage building cost

/ Garage building cost #1  

smokey_truck

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX1860
Hi All

Just wanted to get some ideas from you experts. I was estimating a garage 26' W X 28 L= 728 sq.ft with 14' high walls and 100 AMP electric service. The concrete driveway is about close to 100'

Total estimated cost for everything including garage door 14' W X 12' high is about 35K little here and there. This includes plumbing from primary structure to detached garage.

Is that a decent price estimate or too much or too low.

Any thoughts on this please.

Ganesh

/ Garage building cost #2  
Hi All

Just wanted to get some ideas from you experts. I was estimating a garage 26' W X 28 L= 728 sq.ft with 14' high walls and 100 AMP electric service. The concrete driveway is about close to 100'

Total estimated cost for everything including garage door 14' W X 12' high is about 35K little here and there. This includes plumbing from primary structure to detached garage.

Is that a decent price estimate or too much or too low.

Any thoughts on this please.

Ganesh

I'm confused. Does that $35K include 100 ft of concrete driveway?

My shop is a 24 x 42 ft steel building with 12 ft walls, two 10 x 10 foot roll up doors, one man door, one window, 100 amp/240V service. Cost: $16K in May05. The concrete slab (6" thick, #4 rebar on 24" centers) cost $7K.

DSCF0170-small.jpgDSCF0172 (Small).JPG

/ Garage building cost
Yes, it includes driveway as well. Are you saying it is too high or low?

Ganesh

/ Garage building cost #4  
Smokey_truck;

More info needed...

1. Are you buying materials yourself?

2. Are you doing all work yourself?

3. Are you doing some work

4. Is a contractor doing all work?

5. Is it insulated and finished inside?

/ Garage building cost
Smokey_truck;

More info needed...

1. Are you buying materials yourself?

2. Are you doing all work yourself?

3. Are you doing some work

4. Is a contractor doing all work?

5. Is it insulated and finished inside?

Materials myself, Work is done by contractor. I drew plans and got everything approved as per code. Insulation may add additional drivewall & insulation.

Ganesh

/ Garage building cost #6  
If that includes the materials and the contractor labor, I think, for my area (central coast of CA) that is a good price. My shop is 24x30x10ft high. It has a 6-12 roof pitch, comp shingles, with attic trusses inside.

My estimates for the building and slab complete, were right at 35K. I also did my own plans, but I ran all my elec (100amp) and water, I also did the wrapping of the siding, set the door and windows, and painted an caulked. It came to about 16K complete. That is 2x6 standard construction, with Hardiboard siding, that matches my house, and an 8ft highx12 roll up garage door, on a slab foundation.

Out here, 100ft of concrete driveway, with a low bid, would be about 5K by itself. Flusher, steel prices have gone through the roof since '05. When I priced out my job, it was cheaper to build with wood, including labor, that a steel shop I put up myself.

I prefer wood anyway, but would have gone with steel if it had been a lot cheaper, even a little bit and I might have.

/ Garage building cost #7  
Materials myself, Work is done by contractor. I drew plans and got everything approved as per code. Insulation may add additional drivewall & insulation.

still didn't indicate if the driveway was included, the same width as the shop, etc...

there's a lot of money in concrete.

/ Garage building cost #8  

Ganesh

In my opinion that sounds reasonable, but I don't know your regional costs. Up here labor, materials and codes push building costs higher then most areas of the states. Building practices to protect foundations from frost heaving add hundreds to thousands in foam at $20+/sheet in the ground. Heck, my electrician and plumbers won't even get out of their vans for under $1500 any more:laughing: I hear down south there is a lot of cheap labor, even southern Wisconsin where my in-laws live have cheap labor.

As a building contractor here is my opinion. If you are unsure of the price get another bid and that will help, though I always tell friends and family when they ask me to go by references on the contractor. Cheap price can get homeowners into trouble if the contractor doesn't build quality or leaves out important things that you think are included in the bid then later he hits you with a change-order/additional work order. These are the most common reasons I lose jobs. I always hear later that the owner wished they wouldn't have chosen a contractor solely on price and in a lot of cases the "extras" rise that low bid right up over the other contractors bids that had them included. I know this is just a shed but still could have big differences like gauge of metal, centers of studs/trusses, thickness of slab with mesh-rebar or fiber mesh in concrete, number and size of circuits ect........you get the picture

/ Garage building cost #9  

Ganesh

What are you paying for that driveway? Driveway width? Driveway thickness?

How thick is the concrete slab in the garage?

As the photo shows, my shop has two 10x10 ft rollup doors. You need at least 2 ft of height above the door for the rollup assemble. 14 ft is OK. Is the door on your garage a rollup type like mine or a normal garage door ( a tilt type or a sectional door that uses a pair of guides)?

/ Garage building cost #10  
A little over 10 years ago, I had a 28'x30' built, wood framed, vinyl siding, 8' high walls, insulated, wired and heated, two stadard garage door, two windows, a walk in door. The approadch is 6" thick concrete, about 24 wide by 24' long. I had all the work done, the only thing I did was paint the inside. There is no footing under the garage, but the slab is thickned around the edges. This cost me about 20k. The guy that built it works pretty cheap and uses Ahmish for help, so I'm sure I save some money on labor. My guess is today, it would cost me a least $5000 more.