Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
Hey everyone. I wasn't sure between the "build it yourself" or "attachments" forum was the right place to post this but this seemed more fitting since i'm making it myself.

My father in law has a Case skid steer, model 1838, that he recently bought to help load wood from his tree jobs. It came with a regular bucket, two sets of forks, and a clam style bucket. The clam bucket doesnt really work that well in 'grabbing' chunks or stick of wood and loading it so i'm helping him build two additional attachments for the skid loader-a grapple and a log splitter.

Since he needs the log splitter sooner than the grapple, we started it this weekend. I'll post some pictures below and comment some more through the week when i'm at work.

He wants the cylinder and wedge to be on the bottom so the operator doesn't need to leave the cab to split up the big wood. I think his plan is to use this to quarter or halve up the monster pieces and then use his little Piqua built Lickety Splitter to process them down to normal size splits. If it were mine, I'd put the cylinder and wedge on top and just use a normal valve and do all the splitting with this single attachment-but I'm building it for him so I'll do like he wants.

One question on the hydraulic quick connections...I'm going with JIC 10F swivel fittings from Surplus Center but I dont know what kind of quick couplers I need to make the connections. Am i better to call the sales people at Surplus Center or should i remove the fittings and take them into the local TSC where i can physically try to mate it up to the other half?

Enough typing,,,here are some pictures of it tacked together:

All the plate steel is cut from a sheet of 3/8" flat plate from the local scrap yard.
101_0907.jpg

The pic below is the pieces that the pins slide down into at the bottom of the attachment plate. I cut the square holes a little deeper because his bucket doesnt release right...you have to get under it and tap the pins up with a hammer.
101_0908.jpg

In the picture below, i left about a 1/4" gap down at the bottom.
101_0910.jpg

The plate tack welded together supporting its own weight:
101_0906.jpg

101_0911.jpg

And finally the gussets or braces tacked to the beam and plate:
101_0918.jpg

101_0917.jpg

101_0916.jpg

101_0915.jpg

I'm ordering the wedge tonight off of ebay and will try to get the push plate and anchor block fabbed up this week and will then have a guy at work do the final welds next week.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build
So far, looks great!

Thanks GE!

Do you guys think my fabrication of the plate attachment will hold up well once it is welded on solid?

Any pros/cons from anyone, especially those of you that have used regular skid steer splitters like this-with either the splitting side facing the ground or upwards like normal?

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #4  
Looking great! I wish I had one like that for all my firewood. In fact, I am looking for a similar set up as soon as I sell my tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #5  
Thanks GE!

Do you guys think my fabrication of the plate attachment will hold up well once it is welded on solid?

Any pros/cons from anyone, especially those of you that have used regular skid steer splitters like this-with either the splitting side facing the ground or upwards like normal?

Yes, you got it! With those large gussets the beam in now the weak point. (if you were to spin around and smack something with it) I agree with the FIL, wedge/cly down to bust up the big ones. The skid steer has better jobs to do than that of a $2000 splitter.:thumbsup: Looks like it's going to be a real nice unit.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #7  
I would want it on the bottom, too, especially for big pieces:

Top is OK for small stuff that you have to lift:

Bruce

Wouldn't being on the bottom make it a pain in the but for smaller pieces? Can you make it convertible to wedge up OR wedge down? Maybe customize the skid steer mounting plate. BTW I use a 3pt log splitter on my tractor with the wedge up. I cam lower the splitter to the ground and simply roll the really big pieces unto the splitter. This could work on the skid steer as well.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #8  
a great work!
22.gif

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #9  
Wouldn't being on the bottom make it a pain in the but for smaller pieces?

Why he wants it on the bottom:

He wants the cylinder and wedge to be on the bottom so the operator doesn't need to leave the cab to split up the big wood. I think his plan is to use this to quarter or halve up the monster pieces and then use his little Piqua built Lickety Splitter to process them down to normal size splits.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #10  
We have used the woodcat already since there made in Elkhart IN, which is a 25 min drive, but they wanted close to $3600 for it, does make it very handy having it on the bottom. bought a ramspiltter in the crate for $725 at an auction. Works super

Attachments

• image-1146805883.png
    image-1146805883.png
    905.5 KB · Views: 17,897
  • image-2857255519.png
    image-2857255519.png
    896.7 KB · Views: 7,758