Here is what I have at this time.
6"x8"x10' H beam
Kohler 23
Cylinder 24"x 4"

I am at a point of where I need to get the pump, controls, fillter and hoses
I sure would like all of your input.:)

/ Log splitter build #2  
Shoemak,

When you order your valve get the regen valve... It really speeds the extend speeds from what people say...

Regards,
Chris

/ Log splitter build #3  
Hey Shoe,

I've got a few good threads i've started on the two recent splitters i've built:

Skid Steer Log Splitter: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/221584-skid-steer-loader-homemade-log.html
10HP Diesel Log Splitter: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/179603-replacement-10hp-diesel-engine-china-5.html

Do you want to just keep it around the house or tow it 50 MPH very often?
Horizontal and/or Vertical capability?
If horizontal only, do you want the wedge or plate permanentley mounted?
Think carefully about your age, how long you want to keep the splitter and the current and future condition of your back when you answer those questions!:D

You could use the following parts from NorthernTool.com:
Item # 2035 3/4" work port detent valve-you hold the lever for the outstroke and then bump it back and it locks in for the retract (you can be throwing your split pieces or getting another log in this time)
Item #'s 1012, 1053, 1056, or 1057 for your pump. Make sure its a two stage one-quicker when it can be, but powerful lower speed when you get to a tough knot.
You'll need a pump mount, some hoses, two love-joy coupling halves with the insert spider, and a filter and hydraulic tank.
You can build some of your stuff to save some dollars or just be patient and shop craigslist, ebay and farm auctions.

The diesel one i just built has 3/4" & 1" hoses, the 3/4" work ported detent valve, 35 GPM return line filter, 25 gallon hydraulic tank (steal from craigslist for $20 :thumbsup:), and homemade frame, rear cylinder anchor, and push plate. I got a 5x24x2 Nortrac cylinder from Northern to really have the butt to push through big pieces.

I'm going to put a video of mine on youtube with a link in my post, but youtube.com, northerntool.com, surpluscenter.com, and craigslist, you ought to be able to get some good quality parts for reasonable prices.

Order you a catalog from Northern and Surplus Center so you can browse for parts. Sorry for the rant. Let me know what particulars or detailed pictures you're looking for.

/ Log splitter build #4  
Shomak:
I greatly encourage you to do tread searches for wood/log splitters on this site. You will find lots of great information, photos, Oops I wish ....
You will find a lot of folks are very opinionated at to what set up works best.

When I went to design mine I had certain requirements it need to meet. 1 - I wanted to be able to work while standing up straight. 2 - I needed it to be able to be pulled down the highway at normal speeds. 3 - It needed to have a way to lift the larger round off the ground. 4 - I did not want the wood to fall to the ground.

Basic Design (Ergonomics/Portability): To meet the work while standing up straight, I looked at horizontal & vertical splitters which had a waist high table. I liked the waist high table vertical splitters, but they would be top heavy to move around easily so i chose to go with a horizontal setup. I added out feed tables/wings to catch the splits and a hydraulic log lift "arm". I considered a davit/hoist with a winch, but liked the idea of using the lift to stage smaller round waiting to be split. (I can load it up before starting the engine or if I have helper(s) they can keep it loaded up & have cut my fuel use in half.)

Reservoir: Rule of thumb is 1 gallon capacity / 1 gpm flow of pump. This is to help with heat dispensation. You will need to allow space for oil to expand / contract as it heats/cools. If possible have the reservoir above the inlet of you pump. (This hint came from Brendan Casey) It will prevent dry starts & extend the life of the pump.

Pump: You said you have a Kohler 23. If that means 23 hp, you can run up to a 28 gpm pump. Since you are planning to use a 4" cylinder, a 16 gpm pump would be a good match for the cylinder. It will provide you with a reasonable cycle speed without rushing you.

Cylinder: You have a 4 x 24". You should have no problems. That is what I use & have no problems splitting elm or hedge.

Valves: Depends on what you are splitting & if you will be working alone. Most of the wood I have will split within the first 1/3 of the round. I use the log lift to stage the pieces to be split. With this in mind, an auto cycle valve (it has 2 levers you lock in place which allows it to extend the ram all the way then return it automatically,) would actually not be useful. (Plus it cost 2x as much as the "log splitter" valve I used. A "log splitter" valve requires the operator to hold the valve open during the splitting stroke but will lock in place for the return stroke then release. If you will be working alone and will be having to chase after the rounds with each one you split, then an auto cycle valve may be a good choice for you.
For the log lift I used a valve with spring returns both ways. On the base side of the cylinder, I installed an restricting orifice that I drilled out to 1/4" to moderate the speed of the lift. I connected the valves in series using an 3/4" black pipe nipple.
** Note ** Make sure the valves are designed to handle the volume (gpm) of your pump.

Wedge: Using a 4" cylinder, you will want to stick to a single edged wedge. If you plan to use a davit/hoist with a winch, you could use a "T" wedge. You will not have enough tonnage to use a 4 way wedge unless the wood you get splits real easy. My wedge is made from 2 pieces of 1/2" mild steel plate welded at a 30 degree angle & is welded to the beam.

Filter: To protect you pump you will want a filter. Make sure it will handle the volume (gpm) of the your pump. Install it on the return side of your valve group to help prevent cavitation. It is generally accepted the use of a screen in your reservoir is not needed & some feel it can cause problems if you have one.

Hope this helps! Have fun!!!:)

Last edited:
   / Log splitter build
Thanks everyone for the wonderful information. The splitter is coming along. Had to take a short break from the build. I did have a thought about the engine being a 23 hp. I was looking at a 28 gpm, but this may be too much for the 4X24 ram. I will also be adding a log lift. The controls I have been looking at were the PRINCE AUTO-CYCLE CONTROL VALVE and the detent for the log lift so I could lower it on the auto side.
I am still in the early stags so most things are still changeable. Still looking at all of the info on the form for the splitter.

/ Log splitter build #6  
IF It were me, considering what you have, I'd opt for a 10 or 11 gpm pump SINGLE stage. NOT two stage. And combine that with the re-gen valve.

I think that combo with the motor you have will result you in the fastest ACTUAL cycle time for the least cost.

Because them 2-stage pumps, while they spec a pretty fast cycle time, but that is no load. With a 4" cylinder, pretty much anytime you are in the wood, it is going to kick down to low-speed/high-pressure mode. Wich even on that expensive 28GPM, is only about 6GPM.

Whereas a 10GPM pump is going to maintain 10GPM EVEN in the split. And the re-gen valve will make it quicker when NOT in the split.

Them 2stage pumps are sesigned to be able to move a ctlinder faster with a smaller motor. Since you already have a larger motor, skip the 2-stage, OR drop down to a 8HP motor and run a 16GPM pump and be more efficent.

/ Log splitter build #7  
The fast extend valve is not recommended for two stage splitters, but will make a 4 GPM single stage pump work like a 24 GPM pump at low pressure.

The fast extend works on max lever action. To use low speed and high pressure, you pull the lever back past the soft detent.

The auto log splitter valve is an excellent idea. You set two levers, and the splitter operates extend, retract and returns to neutral automatically.

Someone on TBN just completed a log splitter setup with the auto valve and log lift. Could also move the wedge up and down.

Last edited:
   / Log splitter build #8  
Surprisingly, on my splitter with a 4" cylinder & 2 stage 16 gpm pump, I would say 80% of the wood splits before it needs to drop into the high pressure mode.

/ Log splitter build
well I have the engine mounted in a good place, push ram in the right place, log lift tacked up and working on the toe end now. I have seen the PRINCE AUTO CYCLE LOG SPLITTER VALVE and think in my setting it would work for me. I think the lift could use a detent value. I hope to get some Pic up soon.