post hole digger stand

/ post hole digger stand #1  

gep1066

Tractor
massey ferguson 451
i have a speeco h.d. post hole digger. need to build stand for it.. any suggestions as to how build one thanks

/ post hole digger stand
need help on this

/ post hole digger stand #3  
Any I've seen are made from two A frames and a support beam between them with some angle bracing from the beam to the A frames.

/ post hole digger stand #4  
I think if you do a search here you will find several different one's that have been done. I can't remember where it was, but one guy built one that was set in the ground like a tall H using 4x4s. Simple, just have to take off bit. Will you be keeping inside or outside? Do you need to move it around inside?

/ post hole digger stand #5  
i remember seeing a at least 4 different threads of folks DIY stands for PHD (post hole diggers) here on TBN.

just recently got a PHD myself. need to make a couple modifications in how it hooks to the old allis chalmers CA lift arms.

but been thinking same thing. the lift arms are rather heavy. let alone the PTO shaft / gear box / auger itself.

for me, i will most likely re-arrange things in shed. run a couple better supports for A frame 2x6 truss in the shed. then toss a block and shackle up on the truss. to run cable or a smaller chain. to lift the PHD up and down. and will more likely put a large nail but more likely a large bolt through one of the pole barn main supports. to tie off to.

=================
pending on the PHD. if the auger bit is small / short enough. you might be able to detach PTO shaft from tractor. then fold auger bit up into the support arms of the PHD and strap it there. then let the 3pt on tractor down. so entire thing almost lays nice and flat on the ground. and you would just need a block or 2 under each side of the frame near the 3pt hook up.

if you are wanting to keep PHD standing up or rather make that. the auger point straight down. i remember seeing here on the forums. someone creating a little box that the spike on bottom of the auger bit rested in. then some support arms that ran up to rest the gear box on and the PHD frame on. it took up some space due to PHD was not folded up. but i am assuming it was a quick way to backup to with tractor hook up. lift up the PHD via 3pt on back of tractor and take off. due to entire PHD was already raised up and ready to go.

i might suggest posting pictures of PHD you do have. it might help folks suggest a better setup. vs what others have done already here on the forum for there PHD.

/ post hole digger stand #6  
   / post hole digger stand #7  
I tried stands for mine and finally gave up. While they do work, it wound up being more of a hassle for me. Instead I just take the auger off and let the remainder of the unit down onto a thick pallet so it's easy to hook up. It seems to work for me and it not too difficult to hook up next time around..

/ post hole digger stand #8  
I have a tree line behind the new barn. I found one with a fork about the right height. Wrapped a piece of chain through the fork and bolted it to itself leaving a tag end of chain dangling with a hook on the end. I back it up to the tree, wrap the chain around it and there she hangs. When that tree gets too tall I'll find a shorter one.

/ post hole digger stand #9  
Since I had the PHD on the tractor, and some old posts available, I dug two holes, about 3" apart, set the posts. The top of the posts are just right (dug the holes to make it so) to lay a 2x4 on edge across the tops under the arm on the PHD, essentially hanging it there. I loosely attach the PHD PTO shaft to the frame to keep it from dropping in the dirt. Works for me.

/ post hole digger stand #10  
i have a speeco h.d. post hole digger. need to build stand for it.. any suggestions as to how build one thanks

This is a simple one i built. I can now move it with my tractors forks and can easily attach it... PLUS it was CHEAP top build with scrap wood. Mines a Speeco with hydraulic assist . I used to leave the auger installed, but it always gets in the way. It hooks up in a few minutes so what the heck. Plus now im forced to verify that the bolts are tight. I was also thinking of making a grade 8 pin to replace the bolts. And use latch pins to secure. Would be real easy to do, but i am a lazy sort. Will be a winter project i guess

Attachments

• 0601111506.jpg
    0601111506.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 4,529
  • 0601111506a.jpg
    0601111506a.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 7,644