Disk hipper rookie

/ Disk hipper rookie #1  

red belly

Tractor
1953 Ford NAA Jubilee
You cannot buy one row hipper here locally in Southern Illinois and I like to build my own stuff anyway. I need to order a set of hilling disks and ASC has two hub types. King and 4 bolt Blanton. Is there any advantage to either one? The king is a few bucks higher, thats the extent of what I know about hilling disks.

/ Disk hipper rookie #2  
You cannot buy one row hipper here locally in Southern Illinois and I like to build my own stuff anyway. I need to order a set of hilling disks and ASC has two hub types. King and 4 bolt Blanton. Is there any advantage to either one? The king is a few bucks higher, thats the extent of what I know about hilling disks.

king/blanton is better as it does have a bearing vs bushing. A buddy of mine gave me a set of disk and no hub. I made the hub , some welding and made my home made hipper. YYou can check the link below.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/210659-my-home-made-row-hipper.html

/ Disk hipper rookie
Nice link! I have a draw bar like that I made a bolt on top link mount for so I could use it as trailer hitch without it rotating. I'm going to build my hipper on a square tool bar. ASC lists king style and Blanton as different. All I can tell in the picture is the Blanton is 4 bolt, not sure about king. King does cost a little more

/ Disk hipper rookie #4  
Nice link! I have a draw bar like that I made a bolt on top link mount for so I could use it as trailer hitch without it rotating. I'm going to build my hipper on a square tool bar. ASC lists king style and Blanton as different. All I can tell in the picture is the Blanton is 4 bolt, not sure about king. King does cost a little more

Agri supply also sells them. On blanton style the hub does have a bearing and that is real advantage compared to bushing only.

JC,

/ Disk hipper rookie
Thanks for the help! Now I have the problem that Agri Supply seems to only have clamps to mount my disks to their round tool bars. Stevens tractor mounts theirs to a square toolbar with a bracket that u bolts on. Do you or anyone else have any ideas (better yet part number) for what I need? Not sure what size tubing I'm going to use yet 2",3",4" I'm a scrounger! Brackets in any of these sizes would be great

/ Disk hipper rookie #6  
Here ya go RB. Might as well build the clamps, too. That's a 2" toolbar, the clamps are "scrounged". Feel free to use my design, adaptable to any of the sizes you mentioned. Royalty checks can be sent via Paypal to my email. :laughing: Try not to critique the welding too much. Mark

Attachments

• Hiller002.jpg
    Hiller002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,720
   / Disk hipper rookie
I love it! It's perfect! What size pipe? No problems with the shanks trying to turn when pulling dirt? Just the set screw right, no hole in the shanks or anything else?

/ Disk hipper rookie #8  
Built my own using spare discs from a Ferguson disc harrow. Welded short piece of 3/4" iron pipe (drilled & tapped for a grease fitting) to the center of the disc, which I had reinforced with large washers tacked to both sides. Used a 3/4" plated bolt & locking nut for an axle. E-mail me (pike@nb.sympatico.ca) & I can send some photos. Hiller uses a tongue made from 2"x2" tubing that hooks to a trailer hitch receiver (built to move my boat trailer around) on my 3 point draw bar. I also salvaged the metal parts from an old horse-drawn "horse hoes" & made a similar setup (photos also available). Either unit works great behind my '47 Ford 8N or my 1980 Kubota B7100.