Harbor freight truck crane

/ Harbor freight truck crane #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Has anyone used one of these and if so what did you think?
I was thinking of putting one on the corner of my work bench (it is 3x8' 1/2 steel and weights about 900+lbs) and use it to lift trannys, final drives and such up to work on. Stuff that is under 500lbs but too heavy for me to grab off the floor and lift up there. I am not concerned with the bench holding the weight, I would guess it can hold in the 1000's of lbs and figure it is heavy enough to not tip too easily under any normal amount of weight. Just wondering what everyone one thinks?
Here is a photo of each to help:

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • image_11911.jpg
    image_11911.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 420
   / Harbor freight truck crane #2  
Using that lift in a truck is one thing. Lots of counterweight.

I could not see in the pic if your bench is anchored to the wall or floor. It doesn't look like it is. Mounting it to a freestanding bench and lifting 400-500 lb. is asking for trouble. That could cause that 900 lb. bench to tip over onto you. If the bench is anchored to the floor and / or wall then in my opinion that lift would work fine.

Be safe. Don't rely on shear bench weight since the leverage of a crane like that could easily tip the bench away from the wall. If you do get it and mount it to an unanchored bench, swing it out the pull down with your hand and I'll bet you will see how easy that 900 lb. bench starts to tip.

/ Harbor freight truck crane
I was thinking the same thing and have 2- 6" lag bolts going into the 6x6 wall supports to help keep it from tipping. I guess i could add a bolt or two to the floor also?? Maybe a good idea!!

/ Harbor freight truck crane #4  
I was thinking the same thing and have 2- 6" lag bolts going into the 6x6 wall supports to help keep it from tipping. I guess i could add a bolt or two to the floor also?? Maybe a good idea!!

If you bolt the legs, do it to the back legs, that's where you will get the strength.

Now! ! ! About your shop! It is an embracement to us! WHO has a shop that clean! ! ! :laughing: :D :laughing:

/ Harbor freight truck crane #5  
A statioary hoist like that will only help you at that bench and will always locate the object the same place on the bench. a cherry picker type of lift may fill your needs better...

/ Harbor freight truck crane #6  
Here is a photo of each to help:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Bench! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

But I agree, anchor the rear legs to the floor.

Be well,
David

/ Harbor freight truck crane #7  
The crane works well - but of the 40+ units we had installed, there was a fairly high rate of hydraulic jack failure (and not after a long period of time). I would either go with the version that also has the hand crank winch, buy the extended warranty, or go with a little nicer version (see link below)

Amazon.com: Vestil WTJ-2 Winch Operated Truck Jib Crane, Welded Steel, 1000 lbs Capacity, 56" Overall Height, Yellow: Industrial & Scientific

We are trialing this unit as a replacement for the HF versions

/ Harbor freight truck crane #8  
I would be a little worried about putting that in the back of a truck. I think the weather would beat it up pretty good. In a shop I bet it would be no different than a engine lift from HF. I think it would work just fine. I would mount it down well though.

/ Harbor freight truck crane #9  
A place I used to work and a nice heavy chain hoist on about a 10 foot rail hooked to the ceiling. It worked really nice, and you could hoist things up and move them up and down the rail. Might be handy if you could drive a pickup in, hoist it out and slide it over to the work bench.

/ Harbor freight truck crane #10  
I would consider mounting the crane to the rear center of the bench. That would help offset the overbalancing effect of mounting it on the side or front. In addition may give more options on where to place the load.