ridgid abrasive chop saw

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I just purchased the ridgid chop saw because I was tired of cutting 2" square tubing and not having a flush cut, it was always not straight. I'm going to give myself some time to finish this project with more cutting to see if it will cut straight. I have noticed that the blade flexes when you push on the saw, it needs some pressure to cut. I don't like the abrasive disc that comes with the saw. I think that is the problem. I don't want to buy a new blade until I know if going to keep the saw. Does anyone have this saw and like the way it cuts? Will a better disc cut more straight or is this the norm for abrasive cut off saws?

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #2  
I do not own this saw but;

Have used many abrasive saws

Try reducing the down pressure while cutting

Use a small adjustable square to make sure the blade is square to the table

It is the nature of the beast! You will not get a quality cut as you would with a band saw

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #3  
I have this saw, got it at HD about 8 years ago. I use the HF wheels. And yes at times it will not cut straight, usually when Im pushing hard through thick material. Chop saws work best in thin wall material. If you want good clean cuts you need a cold cut saw or bandsaw. Or get use to checking every cut with a square.

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #4  
Agreed - don't push the thing. The saw itself is ok, the ergonomics are good, the fence poor, the clamp poor. It doesn't cut straight without a lot of fussing. Probably best for rebar and stuff. I use my handheld bandsaw most of the time now. Haven't tried expensive abrasive discs, though. Will that help any?
Jim

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #5  
Disks come in thin or thick. Thin cuts faster but flexes more. Thick cuts slower, labors the motor more but don't flex as much. My rule of thumb is to let the blade do the work and only apply enough pressure to cut the material. I usually get pretty good results.

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #6  
Sometimes you have to look at the basics. What way is it off? Up down or front to back?

Have you checked the blade for square?

Is the blade installed properly? On mine, Millwakee, there is an oversized type of washer that goes on either side of the blade. If the blade isn't solid, it might be wabbling just a bit.

Eddie

/ ridgid abrasive chop saw #7  
I own one; yes the disc that comes the saw is junk.

I suggest using a brand name disc. Not only do they generally cut better, they are less likely to shatter and injure you.

When you cutting a large flat surface, sometimes a disc can get glazed, and then it will not cut well. Normally, a disc will abrade and prevent it from glazing. Putting a piece of scrap sheet metal, say 10 ga, (or similar), edge up in the vice and cutting it, will usually clean it up and get it cutting again.

Warning, the cord exits the saw very close to the area that the sparks are directed out the back. When setting the saw up, be sure the cord is clear of this area, or you will burn it up.

I would also suggest putting a piece of scrap metal under the back to receive the sparks. This will keep you from damaging your floor.

Also, be sure and wear at least a good dust mask when using carborundum discs, they are likely to be the next asbestos.