Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Default Re: Military trailer turned into a dump trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by David Devuono View Post
    Did one better and built a hydraulic dump that goes close to 90 degrees at the end of this video

unimogdave's Channel - YouTube
    Kinda small capacity, but a cool looking vehicle

JB
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3240

I am still kicking around the idea. I want to make a frame under the bed and hinge it in the back for a full dump. Just trying to figure out how much it will run me to make it happen.

Also trying to figure out if i want the M101A2 or a M105. The 105 is bigger and heavier. Want it be be small enough for the tractor to handle it good but still big enough to hold a lot of material if I want to put it behind my truck and pick up a load of mulch, rock or wood etc. The M101A2 has surge brakes which not as good as electric it better than nothing. The M105 was made to go behind a big 2.5 ton truck and comes with air brakes. Don't know if I could modify the air brakes or not might have to put a new axle under it.
    Grand L 3240. TSC 6' Rough Cutter, 66" Bradco Rock Bucket, New 7' Fred Cain Rake that needs a paint job, 6' United BB, Northern Tool 16 Gal Sprayer, 42" Pallet Forks Land Pride FDR1672 Finish Mower. Still looking for more attachments

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Lots of photos on this thread on M105 towing.

Towing A M105 Trailer? - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Bruce

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3240

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    Lots of photos on this thread on M105 towing.

Bruce
    Thanks for the link. I join the Steel Soldiers site the other day and have been reading alot. Those guys have some really cool stuff. Makes me want to go buy a big truck for the fun of it.
    Grand L 3240. TSC 6' Rough Cutter, 66" Bradco Rock Bucket, New 7' Fred Cain Rake that needs a paint job, 6' United BB, Northern Tool 16 Gal Sprayer, 42" Pallet Forks Land Pride FDR1672 Finish Mower. Still looking for more attachments

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Here is a long thread on the "dump" non-feature.

M101a2 not dumping !! - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

The pins on the rear of the tongue are not in line with the axle. They are perpendicular to the angled side of the tongue. The original intent was to remove those "dump pivot" bolts, then rotate the hitch upwards on the bolts in front of the box, to save shipping space.

Bruce

Tractor
    John Deere 3520, John Deere X749

The M105 is a really big trailer for a 1/2 ton pick up. The M102 is perfect size for 1/2 to 3/4 ton pickups. The M102 will carry more dirt or rocks than you would want to put behind a regular truck. If you load out a 105 you better have a, well 2.5 ton truck. Also keep in mind that the center of gravity on these trailers is about 6 inches in front of the axel when empty. So you have to be careful when loading them so you don't get an aft center of gravity.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3240

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    Here is a long thread on the "dump" non-feature.

M101a2 not dumping !! - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

The pins on the rear of the tongue are not in line with the axle. They are perpendicular to the angled side of the tongue. The original intent was to remove those "dump pivot" bolts, then rotate the hitch upwards on the bolts in front of the box, to save shipping space.

Bruce
    I have read several of those. Thats why I am leaning towards making it a full dump. Or at the least reworking the pins to remove the angle.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3240

Quote Originally Posted by bubbacuse77 View Post
    The M105 is a really big trailer for a 1/2 ton pick up. The M102 is perfect size for 1/2 to 3/4 ton pickups. The M102 will carry more dirt or rocks than you would want to put behind a regular truck. If you load out a 105 you better have a, well 2.5 ton truck. Also keep in mind that the center of gravity on these trailers is about 6 inches in front of the axel when empty. So you have to be careful when loading them so you don't get an aft center of gravity.
    Yea, I think the 105 is too big but just looking. I have a 3/4 ton so I can pull that much but not trailer brakes would be an issue.

I believe I will end up with a 101A2, a 101A3 with the wider body would be nice but those seem harder to find. Or hard to fine close to my location.

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Once you have a dumper you'll find all kinds of uses for it. Then you'll wish you had one where the rear does not go down when the front goes up. You'll want the ground clearance, and as mentioned, you'll want to pull forward away from your pile of (x) to clean out the trailer.
    The frames on those milspec trailers always looked light to me, but I guess they work fine for what's intended for them. Come to think of it, the WWII Jeep frames are awful light, and you still see them sometimes 70 years later on the road.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

I'm a little late to the game here, but I like the concept of that "Hydraulicless dump". I admit that it's nowhere near the usefulness of a $6K dump trailer, but for those of us just needing to dump a little something every now and then, it's a great idea. If it were purpose built with an electric brake axle, a guy could pull pins in the front and then dump by using the wammy bar on a brake controller. That way he could pull away from the dump pile and then re-dump to empty the trailer without getting out of the cab.

I like it.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast