Military trailer turned into a dump trailer?

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #1  

Whitnel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3240
Anyone thought about doing this or maybe has built one? I saw a M101a2 trailer for sale on craigslist the other day and it got me to thinking. It is their 3/4 ton trailer, 6' wide by 8' long.

Here is a short vid of what it looks like. Dump trailer - YouTube

Just kicking around the idea and wanted to see what others thought. I think I would want to build a frame between the trailer frame and the bed that hinged in the back, add a ram so it would dump like a regular dump trailer. I don't think the bed would clean out that great as it dumps now.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #2  
Not trying to "rain on your parade," but I'm thinking that by the time you go to all that trouble and expense, you could probably just buy a dump trailer.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #3  
Hey, that looks like mine I built 8 yrs ago......same concept for dump...sometimes (when the terrain is right) when tilted, you can back more and the trailer stands up on end to dump

Yea, it would be nice to dump like a normal one but it suits my purpose, besides if it was hydraulic it would probably break down when needed anyways....

If I was to convert it to hydraulics then I would definetly use a hand pump to manually dump....

Attachments

• spring2010tractors 017.jpg
    spring2010tractors 017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,207
  • spring2010tractors 018.jpg
    spring2010tractors 018.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,892
   / Military trailer turned into a dump trailer?
Not trying to "rain on your parade," but I'm thinking that by the time you go to all that trouble and expense, you could probably just buy a dump trailer.

No raining here. Just weighing the options.

I can pick up one of these locally for $500 or try and get it at an auctoin for $200 to $300. I enjoy the building process when I have time to do it.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #5  
More rain on the parade. I have one of these exact trailers I bought of govliquidation.com . You can get the nice refirbished ones for about $350 from the government. The tilt dump thing that the video shows works kind of. It is stressful on the hinge section becauase the hinge is at an angle to the rotation direction. Many people have cracked there frames or busted the bolts at the hinge by doing this if you go to far. you also have to worry about the wiring and on the versions with the hydraulic surge brakes.......the brake lines. There are ways to do it..........more at steelsoldiers.com.

All that being said. I did just what the guy in the video did and tilt mine as needed but am careful and did stuff to aliviate the issues with the brake lines and lite wires. I really thought about the full dump trailer action as well but the frame is so light that you would have to fab in some new metal and do a bunch of reworking of things. I is a great trailer for $350 that you can beat on and not work about.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #6  
The one in the video is a beautiful little HD (for it's size) trailer.

But I think I would just unhitch it and lift it up, the tongue looks long enough for the leverage needed.

On a bigger trailer, that concept is interesting, not needing any mechanical function except for the available geometry is a plus for sure.

Of course it would require hand work to fully unload, since the brakes are applied you can't drive forward to fully unload.

JB

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #7  
From experience, if you were actually gonna dump dirt, you will end up back there with a shovel. I don't know the degree angle but you need the tailgate off the ground and the ability to move forward and at the said angle in the video you will still use the shovel. You may have to lift the suspension.

Mini Kubota Tractor in the Spring Mud. - YouTube

Even with the super high spring over axle lift on my old dump trailer, because the tail hit the ground, I still had to mess around to get all the dirt out.

/ Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #8  
Even with the super high spring over axle lift on my old dump trailer, because the tail hit the ground, I still had to mess around to get all the dirt out.

I have the solution for you, put a receiver tube on your bucket and make your own dump trailer.

JB

Attachments

• P4113900.JPG
    P4113900.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 1,069
   / Military trailer turned into a dump trailer? #10  
No raining here. Just weighing the options.

I can pick up one of these locally for $500 or try and get it at an auctoin for $200 to $300. I enjoy the building process when I have time to do it.

I can shoot some pictures of mine on Saturday and post them up so you can help figure it out.

the other guys are right.........unless you hinge it from the back it dosn't work well for dirt, but it works great for moving wood if that is your thing.

Cheers,