make a bulkhead fitting?

/ make a bulkhead fitting? #1  

JimPS

Tractor
Kubota 2950
I first thought I could double nut a 1" NPT close nipple with some rubber gaskets to make a bulkhead fitting for a drain in one of those plastic water tubs. But when you really look at it, you don't end up with many threads left. Is there a common way to make one that's not coming to me?

/ make a bulkhead fitting? #2  
I first thought I could double nut a 1" NPT close nipple with some rubber gaskets to make a bulkhead fitting for a drain in one of those plastic water tubs. But when you really look at it, you don't end up with many threads left. Is there a common way to make one that's not coming to me?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I like to be independent and make things I need, purchasing would be my choice since they aren't very expensive.

But to make one, use a 1" pipe coupling rather than a nipple so you have pipe threads on the inside. For the outside diameter machine down to 1", thread the OD and you'll have enough length for a one inch nut on each side, washers and gaskets.

Or use an inch siphon hose in the top for the same effect.

Double Threaded Bulkhead Fitting - 1 Inch

/ make a bulkhead fitting?
I can't find one at any of the ACE or independent hardware stores or HomeDepot, Lowes, etc. Of course the stores around here are more into patio furniture than farm equipment.

I guess I'll have to mail order one as much as I hate to.

Thank you.

/ make a bulkhead fitting? #4  
Try a marine supply store if you have one near. A "through hull" fitting will work nicely for what you want.

Try a marine supply store if you have one near. A "through hull" fitting will work nicely for what you want.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check.

The local marine shop had some but they are pretty light duty and not threaded the way I wanted.
I finally thought to check Grainger and they had them. Big and bulky, but it will work.
Thanks for the ideas.

/ make a bulkhead fitting? #7  
Might be to big for what you want but a shower or sink drain is cheap and easy to come by

Might be to big for what you want but a shower or sink drain is cheap and easy to come by

That's actually a pretty good idea but I needed 1" pipe threads on both sides.

The outer diameter of the fitting is huge for 1" female pipe threads, but I can't complain.... at least I got what I needed.

Item Bulkhead Fitting
Thread Size 1"
Required Hole Size (In.) 2-1/4
Material of Construction Polypropylene
Max. Pressure (PSI) 150
Temp. Range -20 to 150 Degrees F

/ make a bulkhead fitting? #9  
Your marine store should carry these in brass.....West Marine may have it

I'll be doing a project like this using a plastic white barrel to make a bait tank for my salt water fishing boat....

to find one in 1" pipe may be hard to find....you may end up making something

EDIT: Oops, I see you found it....

/ make a bulkhead fitting? #10  
I have used the uniseal bulk head fitting and have had some good results on it,
this was in a stationary setting, but I was impressed with them,
Uniseal Bulkhead Alternative - English

do a search on "UNISEAL" for more places that sell the fittings,

this water storage system has been in use for a year now, and no leaks and serving well,

(the main reason I chose these was I did not need access to the inside of the tank (drum) to install the fitting),

Attachments

• all 054.jpg
    all 054.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 687