New (To Me) Drill Press

/ New (To Me) Drill Press #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Thanks to Rawinok2 and his praise of the benefit of a slow speed drill press in his mini dozer thread, I got motivated and bought a used drill press. My wife picked it up for me when she was at a conference 250+ miles away this weekend. She is the best wife!! I didn't see it until she got home today. This thing is a Beast!!

(For those who are wondering I did give my wife a hug and ask how her trip went before I ran out the door swinging my arms and jumping up and down to get a look at the new toy... er... tool. She's sleeping now, so I've taken time to poke around and see what I have.)

It is a Orbit brand OR 1458 Drill press with a 1/2 HP motor and 12 speeds. This will be a big jump from my little 5 speed 1/4 HP Delta that I have been using. I will likely take some time tomorrow and drill some big holes in thick steel to see how well it works. There's nothing available for it on the web. No owner's manual, no parts diagrams. It's made in Taiwan, so I don't have super high expectations.

It's old and used, so I'll spend some time tuning it up. It seems like what it needs most is cleaning and lubrication. Any suggestions for a good oil to use on the moving parts of a drill press or how to clean it?

I also need a chuck key. I've never had to buy a chuck key. Do I just need the numbers off the chuck to get the right key?

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 2,443
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 1,682
   / New (To Me) Drill Press #2  
Nice drill press. Is that a Jacobs ball bearing Super Chuck. If it is, that chuck is worth way more than you probably paid for the drill press.
Looks like you also have a morse taper spindle. Drop the quill down and see if there is a slot for a drill drift used to remove drills and chucks. Then you can use morse taper drills and other tooling.
One of my drill presses looks identical to yours. It's made in Taiwan also and called a Packard. It has a Morse #2 spindle.
Congrats on the new tool, and the great wife.

/ New (To Me) Drill Press #3  
I've got what looks like an identical machine, just a different name on it.

It's a decent machine and will serve you well.

You can clean most of that with steel wool, I would not apply oil to the moving parts except maybe the spindle, if there is a way to do that, I never have. Oil on any of the gears or other moving parts is going to attract metal chips etc and do more harm than good.

I've had no problems with mine, It's not as slow as it should be for boring large holes over 3/4 " in thick metal over 3/4" but for most tasks it works well.

I keep a plastic garbage barrel cover handy to put under the round table to catch the majority of the chips. I also have a cheap vise that helps tremendously holding what ever I'm drilling.

Good luck, JB

Attachments

• PC180009.JPG
    PC180009.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 1,050
   / New (To Me) Drill Press #4  
You will need to clamp your work to the table as this drill press will not back down if the drill grabs. I use SAE 10 w 30 oil. I am not sure if your chuck is a morse taper or not . How I would find out is to stroke the quill down with power off and see if there is a slot through the quill shaft. If there is you use a a tapered drift to drive the morse taper out. Then you can buy a set of morse tapered drills and really start making holes. You could also buy a set of 1/2 inch shank drills that are turned down and you can drill up to 1 inch steel with ypur drill press.

Craig Clayton

/ New (To Me) Drill Press #5  
JB, your shop makes me sick. :rolleyes: Tall ceilings, windows with a nice view, lots of tools and the worst part, neat and clean. I'm very envious, oh well maybe someday. ;)

/ New (To Me) Drill Press #6  
<snip>
I've got what looks like an identical machine, just a different name on it.
<snip>

Me too. Mine's a 25 year old "Black & Decker" that I bought at their outlet store in Milford. Certain details are identical - like the lever you turn to tension the belts, the hub with the 3 levers, and the recoil spring. It's been a real workhorse - never any problems. Mine didn't come with the the nice rack & pinion rotating table option that yours has - mine's just a rectangular table that slides up & down with 2 clamps to lock it. I bet you could get parts from B&D if you ever need them.

/ New (To Me) Drill Press #7  
QUOTE: I also need a chuck key. I've never had to buy a chuck key. Do I just need the numbers off the chuck to get the right key?

It is best to take the chuck to a machine shop supplier to get a quality key that fits correctly. There are minute differences in keys that make them real aggravating when they don't match the chuck correctly.

/ New (To Me) Drill Press #9  
JB, your shop makes me sick. :rolleyes: Tall ceilings, windows with a nice view, lots of tools and the worst part, neat and clean. I'm very envious, oh well maybe someday. ;)

I'll show you some more pics just to show off, but don't be envious, cause I don't own it anymore. This was a commercial building I bought in terrible distress, renovated it and used it for just a few years, and had to sell it.

Don't feel sorry for me either though, cause I didn't sell cause I couldn't afford to keep it. I sold it cause I couldn't afford not to. Got made a deal I couldn't refuse :eek:

The building was awesome though for us mechanical type people.
Masonry construction, 50'x60'= 3000 sq ft. 18 ft ceiling, four 10'x12' doors, one 12'x14' door, 2 storey office suite. 36" I beams with hoist trolleys, 1 acre of fenced, industrial zoned lot.
I do miss it but really didn't need it, got a smaller shop behind my house now. No overhead doors, but I do have a 20'x40' covered truck port at least.

Attachments

• P4120250.JPG
    P4120250.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 669
  • P4270460.JPG
    P4270460.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 683
  • PC170013.JPG
    PC170013.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 688
   / New (To Me) Drill Press #10  
nice , I cleaned up a drill press my Dad owned . My shop is pretty clean , but to keep the dust off of it , I keep a trash bag stretched over it , when not in use .