PTO parts and pieces

/ PTO parts and pieces #1  

Anonymous Poster

I want to take the old Briggs off my chipper, then modify the chipper to fit on the three point and hook it up to the PTO. That way I can move it around to where the brush is, and I don't have to kill myself trying to pull start a 12 horse lawn mower engine mounted at chest height with a vertical pull starter. I need something I can weld or bolt to the chipper flywheel to hook the PTO shaft to. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
Dave (spring cleaning, no brush is safe)

/ PTO parts and pieces #2  
This begs for a picture or two to see what there is to work with. There are issues of RPM's, room for pulleys, where is the PTO relative to the flywheel. I'd be cruising the back row of implement dealers, junk yards, especially tractor/ implement boneyards. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ PTO parts and pieces
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This begs for a picture or two to see what there is to work with. There are issues of RPM's, room for pulleys, where is the PTO relative to the flywheel. I'd be cruising the back row of implement dealers, junk yards, especially tractor/ implement boneyards. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )</font>

The manufacturer offered this chipper as either a three point version with PTO drive or gas engine. I've checked with them and they can't help me with parts, but it should be straight forward. I'd love to have a tractor bone yard to poke through, but here in the NW we don't have much of anything like that. There is a great tractor "museum" 150 miles from here over on the other side of the state (the dry side), but nothing local...

I'm looking for a splined shaft with a flange to weld or bolt onto the chipper.

/ PTO parts and pieces #5  
A slined shaft should be available through an equipment dealer. Think about a machine shop for the welding as you would not want any imbalances.
It may cost a few bucks more but worth it.
Also think of a metal shield rather than plastic just in case there is an opps.

Egon

/ PTO parts and pieces #6  
Dave you didn't mention what brand your chipper is. Do you have the parts diagrams for your chipper? My local equipment dealer is real good about printing off diagrams from his computer which is a big help. Some manufacturers have the diagrams on their web site.
Doesn't the briggs turn alot faster than 540? You might want some pulleys to speed it up. Surplus center (1-800-488-3407) has alot of interesting parts. Agri Supply (1-800-345-0169) has Eurocardian pto parts.
There is a lot to be said for a trailer mounted chipper. I was wondering if you couldn't rotate the recoil starter so it pulls out to the side or is there an electric start kit available for thr briggs ?

Chris