Snow pusher build

/ Snow pusher build #1  

204saskman

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 2844R Hst
Well after reading " The Haymakers" thread on his snow pusher build it make me think about building one. So i had some thin metal bent up(12gauge or 1/8") but figured it was to thin as it just warped to easy(twisted). So i called the local machine shop and asked them when they could bend me some metal. I went in today and they did it while i waited. Had it all bent up out of 1/4" Metal(bought a whole 4'x8' sheet). I had them sheer it at 24"x 72" and then had them bend it at 6" down on both ends at a 45* angle. There is 12" center on but i had them bend up a 4"x4" angle to brace the bottom. I also had them sheer up sides with knotched corners and the sides are 24"x24". I have an old grader blade with a brand new edge on it. Im going to have to brace it up a bit on the back like a back bone but i should be into the balde for under 500 when all said and done. I will post some pics up tonite. Im also going to attempt my luck at building a SSQA for it too.

/ Snow pusher build #2  
You could have just found an old snowplow and boxed the ends in for way less than $500..

/ Snow pusher build
You could have just found an old snowplow and boxed the ends in for way less than $500..

I wish i could have just done that. The cheapest plow i could find to buy was 1500 and the cheapest dozer/blaee for a tractor that i could find to buy was 1300+ and i didnt need the frame. The cheapest push i found to buy was 1500 and it was very lightly built(1/8" and hardly any bracing). Im gonna be into this build for less than 5-600 bucks and i like building my stuff so i know what the quality is like unlike some of the stuff a guy purchases. I should be done most of the build tonite as i got all of the material that i need. Its gonna take me a bit to get the QA built but once you build one the next will be easier.

/ Snow pusher build
Well here is some pictures of my build so far, Im not done yet, just got the pusher welded. I am going to build my SSQA for it first and install it onto the pusher first then im going to run my bracing into it to tie it all together. Let me know what you all think.

Metal from the shop with the new cutting edge installed.
001.jpg

004.jpg

Skid shoes build out of 3/8"x2"W flat iron
005.jpg

Tacked all together and squared it up. The blade was off by about 3/8" from side to side, had to put a solid tack and put my loader on one side and my trusty 36" pipe wrench on the oher and it took the twist out with no problems.
006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

This is how i braced the angled parts at the bottom. That is all 1/4" material i used to brace it with. I also welded the sides from top to bottom on the back and will be on the front also for added support. The angle is set up so i can weld up mu SSQA and weld it directly onto the back of the pusher.
009.jpg

Here is a top view. I added the smaller braces at the bottom to take some flex out of the side plates. They might hold some snow but im not to worried as i would rather it be solid and not bend.
011.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

Here is a better view of the backing of the pusher.
014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Just remember im not done bracing the back yet as im incorperating it into my SSQA so i will have more to come here soon. Should be done in the next few days and then i will paint it up and test it out(dont want it to rust and then paint it.).

/ Snow pusher build #5  
Looks good! It will be lighter than mine, I may have over engineered. :D

/ Snow pusher build #6  
Well here is some pictures of my build so far, Im not done yet, just got the pusher welded. I am going to build my SSQA for it first and install it onto the pusher first then im going to run my bracing into it to tie it all together. Let me know what you all think.
Looks good from where I sit. It also looks like more work than expected, always is.

The wife says I over engineer stuff all the time. I say, "Cause I can".;)

/ Snow pusher build

O its not light lol this thing probly weights over 350lbs already and i still need to install some more bracing and the SSQA. Im guessing its gonna finish weighting in at over 400-450 which is heavy enough i think. I like to over build stuff too, but with the price of steel its expensive too anymore. I dont think ill have any problems but you never know until you test it out, which should be in the next week or so. Thanks for the comments btw.

/ Snow pusher build #8  
20 minutes to add a couple more bits to the front bar and you'd have yourself a 3pt mount boxblade!

/ Snow pusher build
20 minutes to add a couple more bits to the front bar and you'd have yourself a 3pt mount boxblade!

Ya i was kinda looking at that last nite lol But im gonna build a box blade next with scarfires and such. I prefer to build stuff as its too expensive to buy from alot of suppliers up here in canada. Were not as fortunate as you guys down south to have a dealer like everything attachments, we pay alot more for everything up here, Including tractors and attachments.:mad:

/ Snow pusher build
Well i built the SSQA, it was rather easy, beats the 139-300 local guys wanted for them. I built mine all out of 3/8 material so it is very stout. I have just tacked the mounts inplace as im going to finish every thing off with the arc welder tommorow afternoon. I was going to finish it with my mig but im opting for the arc for the mounts. Will have some finsihed photos up tommorow nite i think once i have tested it out a little bit.