My ballast barrel

/ My ballast barrel #1  

viceprincipal

Tractor
2011 Kubota BX2660 w/ FEL
Just made this last weekend... FIL gave me the barrel, found the scrap iron for the toplink in the fence line, used scrap PVC to run my drawbar through so I can use it elsewhere as well. Borrowed the idea of putting PVC in the concrete for rakes, shovels, etc. (5) 80 pound bags of Quickcrete. Got $15 wrapped up in it, not including the drawbar since I already had that. Hope to give it a nice orange paint job this spring.

Attachments

• P1100366.jpg
    P1100366.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,402
  • P1100367.jpg
    P1100367.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 875
  • P1100368.jpg
    P1100368.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 805
   / My ballast barrel #2  
Looks good, that's a decent amount of ballast plus you have room to store stuff in there as well.

JB.

/ My ballast barrel #3  
Looks great! :thumbsup: I really need to build one of these.

One question. Did you drill drain holes in the bottom of the tool pipes? We can get lots of rain up here and that's always a concern.

Joe

/ My ballast barrel #4  
Looks great and the price is right.

/ My ballast barrel #5  
That looks great, useful:thumbsup:

/ My ballast barrel

One question. Did you drill drain holes in the bottom of the tool pipes? We can get lots of rain up here and that's always a concern.

Joe

I didn't... I taped over the bottom of the pipe and pushed them down in after the concrete was in there. I couldn't get them all the way to the bottom, so there is no way now I can drill down through it. It will be stored indoors, so it shouldn't be a problem.

/ My ballast barrel #7  

Joe

Simple soultion, since it is PVC pipes, it to cap em with end caps just stuck on them. Then pop em off when you need to use them for tools.

/ My ballast barrel #8  
Simple soultion, since it is PVC pipes, it to cap em with end caps just stuck on them. Then pop em off when you need to use them for tools.

Now thats a simple solution...

Nice build Mr VP.

/ My ballast barrel #9  
I did the same thing last year with a 55 gallon steel drum. I had a few bags of cement that had been sitting for years that I broke up and a few odd rocks along with a couple of bags of cement to fill it up. I'm guessing I've got about 1200 lbs in mine. One thing nice about yours is if you don't like the plastic you can remove it and just paint the cement.

/ My ballast barrel #10  

Thats what I do.. the few times I have left it out. just pop on the caps.. have to take the tools in anyway to keep them from rusting.

James K0UA