Sod Cutter

/ Sod Cutter #1  

Chain Bender

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
made this to pull behind my 4 wheeler but works as well or better behind my ttractor.

it is made from 1/4 X4" flat stock. Leading edges of front have 1/8"stock welded on and sharpend like a machette to cut. It works well if you go slow enough not to kick the person standing on the top ears off. It is a ballancing game for the rider, but once you figure it out it cuts perfect 1' wide by 4" thick sod. Maybe a bit thick, but you get all the roots for a better piece of sod.

Message - TractorByNet.com Photo Gallery

Message - TractorByNet.com Photo Gallery

would love to see any variatons.

CB

Last edited:
   / Sod Cutter #2  
The saftey police will not like it but i think it looks great. If you were to build a three point hitch you could replace the rider with some weights.( I think!)

/ Sod Cutter #3  
I have a friend that has an old CCC/soil service truck he is going to restore. It has a sod cutter build o nthe side of the bed like the one you made. It had a chute on a long angle nearly to the back of the bed. Researching it we saw vids of them and it cut and loaded the sod nicely. THe edges on his were made from old cross cut saw blades.

/ Sod Cutter #4  
Here's pictures of one I saved from member's post here on TBN. I can't find the original post but I did keep pictures of the sod cutter just in case I needed it for future reference. He attached it to his 3ph folks. No helper required.

Attachments

• sod cutter 001 (Small).jpg
    sod cutter 001 (Small).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6,356
  • sod cutter 002 (Small).jpg
    sod cutter 002 (Small).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,238
  • sod cutter 003 (Small).jpg
    sod cutter 003 (Small).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,274
  • sod cutter 004 (Small).jpg
    sod cutter 004 (Small).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,164
  • sod cutter 005 (Small).jpg
    sod cutter 005 (Small).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,533
   / Sod Cutter #5  
Are those wheels salvaged from a push mower? Sweet.

/ Sod Cutter #6  
Are those wheels salvaged from a push mower? Sweet.

I should have clarified. That sod cutter is not my build. It was build by another TBN member. I looked but could not find the original post. They certainly look like wheels from a push mower.

/ Sod Cutter #7  
I built one 7-8 yrs ago that bolts on to my box blade. The weight of the box blade ensured the knife would penetrate and stay in the ground and it prevented the knife from going too deep. I guess that was the first "implement"/tractor project I built. The knife is shaped like the one in the pics posted by Luremaker. Made from 3/8" X (can't remember") and sharpened on the leading edge of the sides and bottom.