Brush Forks

/ Brush Forks #1  

JohnS

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Anyone build an attachment for the FEL just for picking-up brush? Lots of pallet forks are used for this, but I don't intend on lifting any palllets, so a less heavy duty solution could be used. It seems like angle iron should suffice, and have some ideas in my head. Would like any feedback from anyone that has built something just for picking-up and hauling brush piles. Thanks.

/ Brush Forks #2  
There have been numerous threads on this subject. Do a search for forks and you will find several. Here is <font color="blue"> just one </font> of them. Some of these are heavy. Some are light. You could make them out of angle, or sq tube as I did. You can make them as long or short as you want.

/ Brush Forks #3  
Angle iron is strong in 2 directions, & weak in the other 2. I would think box tube would be stronger for the smae weight & cost. I suspect any of us who made such a rig would quickly find tougher used for it, or challenge a slightly bigger hunk of branch....

--->Paul

/ Brush Forks #4  
I use a carry-all mounted in my bucket -- serves 2 jobs - brush hauling in front & everything else hauling on the 3 pt in rear. an idea I stole of this site -- one of many /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Brush Forks
Thanks for your responses. I did do a "brush forks" search, prior to posting, and it came-up with zero. A search on "forks" found too many hits, and quick checks produced pallet forks. I must say, I do like the one with hydraulic thumb, given in the link. I will look over more of the "forks" posts, to come-up with ideas. Thanks.

/ Brush Forks #6  
Don't know if this will post with the new file size but these are some clamp on forks I made in about an hour from some scrap I had laying around. Not as nice as many I've seen but they work ok and cost nothing but a little time. Think I'll find some smaller square stock that can slip inside the ends so I can make the forks longer when moving brush and other light duty things.......

Attachments

• 255580-forks on bucket.jpg
    255580-forks on bucket.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,693
   / Brush Forks #7  
close up

Attachments

• 255582-forks close up.jpg
    255582-forks close up.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 999
   / Brush Forks #8  
I've been searching the web for a brush rake small and light enough for a compact tractor. When I think of a bush rake, what I visualize is also called a root rake. Like this:

root_Rake.jpg

Obviously, this one is for a dozer, but I've seen others for skidsteer machines and largish tractors. The problem is, most of them are designed to deal with massive, full size trees like oaks, and are built tough enough to withstand that kind of use, pushed by large loaders or dozers. I hired a guy with a Cat 416C loader/backhoe to do the rough clearing on my property, and that's the kind of rake he has. It works exactly like I'd like a brush rake to work.

The key, for me, is to pick up brush that may still be dirt encrusted, and to "shake" off the dirt to make it better to burn. It needs several tines, but also lots of space for the dirt to fall through. A bucket type design doesn't work as well, for me, because the sides of the bucket don't allow the brush to be cradled in the rake.

The ones I have found are too heavy (700 pounds and up) and too expensive. I don't need that kind of mass - only something heavy enough to resist bending up to the limit of where my FEL won't do anything anymore. I'm pretty sure it could be made from lighter weight tubing instead of solid stock. Since I can't find much, and can't afford what I have found, it looks like I'll try to make my own.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, ideas and any previous experience.

Here's one from Worksaver built for skidsteer mounts, 433 pounds, 62" wide, 15" tine spacing:

image072.jpg

I couln't find a price, and don't know if it could be bought with FEL mounting. I checked out skidsteer adaptors and they aren't available for my NH 12LA loader.

/ Brush Forks #10  
Gerard,
I made a copy of your forks. My modifications were to cut the tips at an angle and weld some flat stock on for a closed point. To prevent the fork from twisting, I welded a 2 or 3 inch piece of 2 inch pipe where the tooth bar tooth and the fork meet.
Thanks for posting your pictures, I really appreciated it.