Hydraulic Auger Mount

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Back in 2007, when I bought my Mahindra 6520 and 511 Backhoe, I modified the backhoe to run the Danuser Hydraulic Auger. It has worked well on the backhoe since then. Now, I want to run some new fence lines and have decided to move the auger to the side of the loader bucket.

I drew out a lot of different paper designs until I finalized the design. I wanted it to hang a little low, but the bolts had to clear the bottom of the bucket. Thus the off set, low slung rake.

I decided to go with 3/8 inch 4 inch wide plate, as the bracket that will hang from it is 5/8 inch thick. I cut the pieces out with a 3 inch cutoff wheel on a high speed grinder. It took some time, but it took little grinding to get it cleaned up and looking production made. I drilled the 1 & 3/8 inch holes with a hole saw on the drill press at work. That took a while also.

I had to go to my local welding shop, as I do not have a welder. Besides, 3/8 inch thick takes a bunch of welder. I showed the shop manager how it needed a washer inside the bracket for loose fit after welding. I didn't get to watch because of insurance. Anyway, I painted it at the shop while the mount was still warm. I got it home and tried the auger motor's adapter bracket. It barely fit after the paint was removed. Seems the welder took the washer out and now the fit is tight with paint. As you can see in the photos, the paint has been scraped by the adapter bracket, when I tried it out.

Hopefully next weekend I will get it mounted on the bucket. I need to figure out if I want to tap the bucket for threads, or just drill holes and use nuts on the bolts. I am leaning towards tapping the holes, but time will tell.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 5-27-07 Auger Motor Line Routing.jpg
    5-27-07 Auger Motor Line Routing.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 5-27-07 PHD Installation.jpg
    5-27-07 PHD Installation.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 1,415
  • 12-31-11 Auger Mount Paper Designs.jpg
    12-31-11 Auger Mount Paper Designs.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 680
  • 12-26-11 Auger Mount from Flat Plate.jpg
    12-26-11 Auger Mount from Flat Plate.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 728
  • 12-31-11 Painted Auger Mt with Adapter 2.jpg
    12-31-11 Painted Auger Mt with Adapter 2.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 899
  • 12-31-11 Auger Mount with Hole saw center cut.jpg
    12-31-11 Auger Mount with Hole saw center cut.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 751
   / Hydraulic Auger Mount #2  
Sounds like an interesting idea. Sure it would be much faster/efficient then on the backhoe. Can't wait to see how this turns out:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #3  
I need to make a yoke very similar to the one in your second to last picture. I wonder if this is strong enough to resist twisting in the middle.

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #4  
Nuts and bolts is the only way to go IMO. You will be battling dirt and debris and probably stripped threads.

But this is great work. How did you cut the holes? You need to buy at least a used stick welder. Craig's will have them for$100.

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
I need to make a yoke very similar to the one in your second to last picture. I wonder if this is strong enough to resist twisting in the middle.

Jenkinsph,
I'm thinking with the low rpm and my hand on the lever, that won't be a problem after my experiences using it on the backhoe and the fact no rocks are here.
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
Nuts and bolts is the only way to go IMO. You will be battling dirt and debris and probably stripped threads.

But this is great work. How did you cut the holes? You need to buy at least a used stick welder. Craig's will have them for$100.

Woodlandfarms,
Thanks! You bring up a good fact. Dirt will fill those holes and be hard to clean out. It would be nice to be able to counter sink the inside of the holes for plow bolts. I bought a 14 dollar 1 & 3/8 inch, cheap looking, metal hole saw from the local True Value hardware store. Low RPM and lots of cutting fluid is required.
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
I located the mount on the bucket and drilled the holes out to 1/4 inch today. I am stumped on what diameter bolts to use. I was thinking 3/8 inch bolts, then though maybe bigger. The metal thickness is 1 & 1/8 inch. Do Y'all think I should go to 7/16 or 1/2 inch bolts?
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 1-3-12 Auger Mount Clecoed in place.jpg
    1-3-12 Auger Mount Clecoed in place.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 623
  • 1-3-12 Auger Mount Clecoed on bucket.jpg
    1-3-12 Auger Mount Clecoed on bucket.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 519
  • 1-3-12 Auger Mount holes being drilled.jpg
    1-3-12 Auger Mount holes being drilled.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 548
   / Hydraulic Auger Mount #8  
I see you are using 4 bolts, I would use 1/2" grade 8 bolts (available from Tractor Supply) and lock nuts.

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
I see you are using 4 bolts, I would use 1/2" grade 8 bolts (available from Tractor Supply) and lock nuts.

CJ222,
Grade 8 for sure. One vote for 1/2 inch. Thanks. I think it would be awesome to find a countersink and use plow bolts. The bucket sidewall was easy to drill. I have 8 of them for a grader blade project for the backhoe that came with the cutting blade I bought.
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount

Jenkinsph,
I think I misread your post above. The yoke is 5/8 inch thick and supplied with the Danuser Auger, so I am sure they engineered enough strength to resist twisting even in rocking ground.
hugs, Brandi