help building a tree trimmer.

/ help building a tree trimmer. #1  

92b16si

Bronze Member
im looking to build something similar to this, to help trim avocado trees. the fab works, looks really simple. need help on figuring out what type of blades ,how to run them and what type of hydraulic motor to use.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVygcZYpJfs]Bubco Tree Hedger.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

/ help building a tree trimmer. #2  
I was thinking about buying another old sickle mower and making it hydralic drive and using that for cutting my caraganas in my yard as there a pita to trim by hand.

/ help building a tree trimmer. #3  
All those spinning blades looks like sumthin outa a B grade movie. OTOH, it would do a good job trimming my MIL's hedge.

/ help building a tree trimmer. #4  
It is amazing what people design isn't it? I did notice when he was topping, it seemed to leave a few sprouts. Perhaps going to fast?

http://www.bubco.com/vineyard.htm#T2200E

Looks like they have quite a bit of info on their website. Including some good static photos.

image-3557573681.png

/ help building a tree trimmer.
I was looking for info mainly , on what kind of hydraulic motor I need to use. and how to i link all the blades together.

/ help building a tree trimmer. #6  
I would be interested in your findings as I plan to make something for a similar purpose (grapes and blackberries pruning).

I have been mulling over using a discarded gas hedge trimmer and replacing the gas motor with a hyd motor. Then afixing some additional hyd cylinders that would allow me to raise it,anble it and change positions. I am still in the contemplating stage...

/ help building a tree trimmer. #7  
That is a very interesting vid.
On your request for assistance from the TBN members I think you need to define the parameters of the project.

What is the mounted vehicle
What is the acreage to trim
How much $$$$$

I know nothing about trimming trees on that kind of scale. But if I did do that sort of operation then it is very specialized.

The cutter looks very good. The estimated run hours is going to lead different people on various thought paths.

A 1 acre grove or a 200 acre grove.

ie on a 1 acre grove the cutter will probably be removed when the trimming is finished on 200 acres I think the tractor might be used full time.

Craig Clayton

/ help building a tree trimmer.
That is a very interesting vid.
On your request for assistance from the TBN members I think you need to define the parameters of the project.

What is the mounted vehicle
What is the acreage to trim
How much $$$$$

I know nothing about trimming trees on that kind of scale. But if I did do that sort of operation then it is very specialized.

The cutter looks very good. The estimated run hours is going to lead different people on various thought paths.

A 1 acre grove or a 200 acre grove.

ie on a 1 acre grove the cutter will probably be removed when the trimming is finished on 200 acres I think the tractor might be used full time.

Craig Clayton

good questions. this will be mounted eaither on a ford 5500 or a john deere 5725 .
it will need to trim about 38 acres of avocado trees.
price wise , as long as it is cheaper to build then to buy and import this to mexico.

/ help building a tree trimmer. #10  
Hi,

the blades are heavy duty saw blades. they turn at the same speed as a normal blade. Make sure of this as too slow will cause grabing.

the blades are over lapped to stop jamming.

Easy to mount as replace the bucket on any loader. set it out side the wheel as then can also do hedges. Have a tilt so that it can be changed on the move when the tractor moves due to uneven ground.

The hydralic motor can be spect fron a good supplier.

belt drive between blades.